T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

What is best A T4 - T5 - T5.5/6
Total of answers: 178

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Extras » Security » Another KEYS question!
Another KEYS question!
Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 7.01 PM | Message # 1
Sergeant
Group: Members
Hi all, I am rather confused now! Upon buying me T4 1.9td 800 special w/2000 I never realised the key situation!? Upon closer inspection there doesn't seem to be an original! One works both doors and ignition, this is a plain solid key with an arched top hole, the other has broke-well the metal bit works the doors only-this keys is the same design as other with the addition of the centre press vw button which supposed to light as I have now discovered! Does this mean it has no imobiliser? It has an alarm but unsure of what it does-no instructions/info-since found out it is a Laserline model-have a plug thing but haven't a clue on model etc to discover how to work the thing!!(any ideas appreciated!) So am totally confused now! Have read over and over the page about the keys-still confused! Any help please!?

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 7.16 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Hi and welcome to our fun & friendly community....

Ok
I think if you have a 2000 series one it will be a chipped key [meaning it has a micro chip in it without which it will not start] any key is able to be cut and will work the doors but will not start it as it doesnt have the chip that tells the computer its the right keys etc effectively an immobiliser ......

As for your alarm sorry i am unable to help probably an after market one where is it fitted ie the box ??? for it maybe a picture might help ......

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 7.56 PM | Message # 3
Sergeant
Hi there, good informative site!-have many queries!! So being chipped, it has the imobiliser then? and the other is just a blank? Am still confused as the other key with the light centre thingy isnt the right key body then?-if it were then would there be a facility to add a chip? surprised -0r is there?! lol. Soooo would I have to buy a new key with the chip and get it programmed? mmmm many q's I fink! Thankyou.

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 9.16 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Welcome Lou

I hope this helps

Attachments: 1465512.jpg (185.2 Kb)

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 10.28 PM | Message # 5
Sergeant
Ahh, thankyou for that, just makes it more intriguing! There aint no central locking so the light key has been simply used as a holder for the cut key. Hmm, so another key with a chip in it then...next one..alarm toggle/dongle make etc search! Trawling again lol! Ps. read a post regarding my model having no ecu? I had my temp guage checked via the ecu I assumed? Lots of info on there as I looked and asked!

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 12.23 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Lou
The chip cant as such be added and it costs £90 + vat at your local VW stealers as this is the only place you can get one its basically a wee black bobble is the best way of describing it afixed to the metal parts body which speaks to the computer everytime its inserted basically without which it will not start, the light on it whether working or not is just a gizmo nothing more nothing less its the metal key either with or without the chip that is the important thing...

My 2000 W plated 2.5tdi had chipped keys where as my 1999 1.9td doesnt £5 for a new key but still has a factory immobiliser when turned off and is there fore equally as safe in terms of being totally stolen.......

My new one is in build currently and is going to have a removable steering wheel fitted much like the GP cars of Grand Prix not to be wide nor smart nor fashion contious but to enable my drivers seats to totally swivel right around without which it wont and also what a deterrant to would be theives surprised

I personaly don't rate car alarms, no body pays a blind bit of notice to a car horn going off these days seeing as how they are notoriously unstable. i wouldn't have one in mine at all surprised however thats not to say i wouldn't have it secure there are many subtle ways of detering theives ours is getting high security door locks as fitted to cash in transit vans not cheap but makes the doors inpenetrable from outside along with shatterproof film on all windows except the front windscreen coz its illegal, added to a removable steering wheel and hidden safes i think it will be as safe as it can be without being armour plated and all windows screened much like a Police roit van....my personal choice as we like to wild camp which means it will have to be left in forrests etc unattended at times ....

All decent alarm manufacturers have websites on those websites is usually free downloadable wiring and user guides ..... Try that as a source to find out about your alarm buddy persoanlly i would pull it out or at least disconnect it...... some if fitted in fuse box area were fitted by VW when new i have yet to see one of your vinateg still working though.... my 2000 had one in that very location which when i bought it was all taped up non functioning which seems to be par for the course and even less likely if fitted under the bonnet to still be working nowadays ...

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 12.29 PM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Ps your temp gauge will of been checked by checking the Vag Com plug i would of thought at that age it will off had a vag com plug which looks like a scart plug just under your steering wheel between the pedals if my memory serves me correctly ...... seek and thought shall find buddy which will tell you if it has or hasnt i would hazard a guess that it has....

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 12.49 PM | Message # 8
Webmaster
Quote Vw Manual on keys

For reasons of security replacement keys are only available from Volkswagen dealers

Key Tag
The key tag contains the key number which is needed to obtain replacemnt keys Volkswagen dealers can ONLY order replacemnt keys if you have this number..

Electronic Immobiliser

The electronic immobiliser prevents unauthorised persons using your vehicle
The micro chip is located in the head of the key which automatically deactivates the immobilisers when the key is inserted in the ignition lock assembly.
The system is automatically activated when the ignition is switched off
Thus the engine can only be started with a correctly coded genuine Volkswagen key, troublefree operation of your vehicle can only be gaurenteed using genuine keys at all times...

NOTE
It has been known elsewhere to be able to avoid getting an expensive key cut at your local VW dealers when your original key breaks by removing the chip and affixing it to the new £5 shoe shop cut key, or by secretting the said chip somewhere close by the ignition barrel and simply using the new cheap cut key in the usual fashion, some say that it only has to be in close proximity to the barrel to work, others say it has to be touching it, i have personally tried all methods to th extent of taping the broken chipped key to the ignition barrel non of my methods worked so i deem this to be total fabricated nonesense possibly you might be lucky but beleive me when i say by leaving the chip full time in the vehicle you are making it in anycase so easy to steal making your insurance non invoid......

Word is certain branches of Timpsons and other key cutters are now coming into the 21st century and can indeed cut chipped keys if you know of one anywhere in the country do please let us know as £90 + the vat is just ridiculous a price to pay for a key...when i had mine i serachd endlessly and was unable to find a supplier at a reasonable cost maybe you know better??? that is one local enough to not require my only key to be sent to them for recutting a very dangerous system if you only hav eone besides i needed it so as to be able to drive it....so post away companies in my view were simply carrying to much of a risk....

Doing what we ended up doing having only the one chipped key at the end we got a £5 spare that locked and unlocked all doors glovebox etc and we used it to open and lock it with religiously whilst only ever using the chipped key to start her thus prolonging the life of our only chipped key at this point

I am glad i have now gotten a non chipped key version and rely on non electrical parts for my security that are far less likely to fail...

Date: Saturday, 12/Jun/10, 11.01 AM | Message # 9
Sergeant
cool wink Thanks all for your assistance, as you may be able to tell, I am a total learner in T4 matters but at least am willing to learn! This is my first VWT4 after dreaming of owning one for donkeys! Would have liked a bit more spec (am disabled to a point) but my dosh could only stretch so far and I think for the money I got a great buy overall especially with its decent low mileage of 70k n sum now. Manged to do a straight swop for a matching captains seat for my double-well chuffed, it came with these mega alloys n new tyres (although 19" & expensive to replace-doh!-no spare,no brace or jack-doh) and I think another 1000 miles and they will need to be replaced-doh-need to save up lol! Thanks to your 'What wheels will fit' guide- am gonna look for alternatives. I bought a remote locking kit some while ago and it's still in the box! as I keep reading that they are not worth putting in???- despite having to find someone to fit for me around this area for me at a not so extortionate price-double doh!! Being a laaaaaydeeee my original wish list was for a/c-the recent hot weather proved myself right for wanting it. My doggie sure needs it too! sweat A large 12v fan just about cuts the mustard but it aint the same lol! Have just invested in a cheap DIY version of A/C- just got together all the parts now at a total costing of a tenner!-utilising a poly box,12v fan,pipe vent and frozen ice bottles! Will let ya know if it works folks!
But returning to the keys thing- it escapes me how a van of only 3 previous owners manages to loose/not include any info regarding key codes/spare keys/alarm info & codes/instructions even model!? arent these things important!!!Gets my goat!
Thanks again all, great site.

Date: Saturday, 12/Jun/10, 12.03 PM | Message # 10
Webmaster
The simple facts of the matter are it is likely that your van started life as a works or leased van as most do, [after all designed and usaually purchased new for some business or other, dependant on colour it could be for any number of operations, i.e. yellow usually denotes ex AA vehicles, white usually ex Police, or ammenity companies, light blue British Gas, forest green forestry commisions etc etc].......in which case it will of passed through many hands and many drivers before being auctioned at end of lease, when a lot of things often misteriously disappear beleive me i know to my cost....

As for your keys they get broken, lost and such like its now 10 yrs old after all i mean what 10 yr old do you know that has not been lost biggrin cool biggrin at some stage.....

Your Alloys will possibly look good right now but quickly pit if not maintained and well loked after/cleaned costing fortunes to put right apart from costing a morgage to re-tyre as you rightly point out, again i swapped my lowered [60mm] and wide wheel tyred T4 for a bog standard version on 15 inch standard rims and tyres the important thing in the wheel and trye department is that they are rated over 92 and are VAN rated tyres you always use beware many will tell try to sell you anything that fits but insists on UPRATED VAN TYRES ALWAYS to stay safe and legal, as for alternatives mostly all VW and Audi Seat/Skoda alloys will fit form same age or newer versions of your van found online ebay or in secondhand wheel shops or for the cheapest option put yours up for sale with a free add here and sell them stating you will take x off if the buyer suppliues a set of standard wheels in deal as they will need to take theirs off to put yours on, as for a spare unless using standard wheels you are unlikely to get one as none fit in the cradle under your back door which is why you wont have one....jack and whell brace are usually behind drivers seat or underneath it, mine were parcelled up inside my spare in the whell cradle under the van.....

I am glad you like our site i can assure you it takes a lot to keep it running but its worth it none the less, if only to help poor souls like yourself...
I would love to add you to our "T4 Show Us Yours" and rolling image widget on our front pages an image or two then of your bus would be good,

Like the idea of your cooler maybe you could start a how to in the "How To Forum" and take us through how you built it and what you needed to build it along with a few images as you go, might spur some of us on to copy it, personally the window down will do me happy but then i dont have dogs [i did so can empathise]

As for your central locking my views are if its not factory fitted DONT BOTHER its more hassle than its worth and very often is besides its just another electrical item to go wrong really..
[Says the owner [me] who sold his 2.5tdi in favour of the lesser complicated 1.9td and most certainly do not regret it not one little bit]

0-0-0-0-0

Mod Note - Could we respectfully ask all - that if you wish to change the subject or are starting to asking about something else you do so in the most appropriate forum/s by starting a new thread in the most appropriate one to your new topic, so it can be found when others go searching!! otherwise your and our words of wisdom will be lost forever...

Date: Saturday, 12/Jun/10, 8.44 PM | Message # 11
Major general
Group: Guest Members
[quote=Admin]Like the idea of your cooler maybe you could start a how to in the "How To Forum" and take us through how you built it and what you needed to build it along with a few images as you go[/quote]

Already been done, see link below.;)

http://www.instructables.com/id....d-easy!

I married an Alien.

Date: Sunday, 13/Jun/10, 11.44 AM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi lou and welcome from me too. Your keys sound the same as mine. One arched top with light and one solid. My van is a 01 so maybe this is all that was supplied with these. I have no aftermarket immobiliser on mine and have just removed the immobiliser on the fuel pump as it all went wrong on me.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Sunday, 13/Jun/10, 10.33 PM | Message # 13
Sergeant
Oooops sorry all for diverting there-so much to ask so much to say and discuss with you all!? What about community???will check it out , conversations continued!..........................just difficult to split all topics onto different areas at one time if ya know what I mean?! (Help me out here someone ! lol...ahum, community is it? biggrin wink

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Extras » Security » Another KEYS question!
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: