Total of answers: 257

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Information » Vw News » Volks Electric Bike announced
Volks Electric Bike announced
Date: Saturday, 01/May/10, 12.25 PM | Message # 1
Webmaster
Group: Admin
The concept of “last few mile mobility” is one which we'll all grow accustomed to over the next decade as the world's cities become more congested and non-polluting micro mobility concepts begin to supplement other forms of transport. In the last year alone we've seen Toyota's Winglet, Honda's U3-X, Nissan's electric skis, and now Volkswagen has shown a micro mobility concept which it has dubbed the "Bik.e" – a folding electric bike with one of the most ingenious folding mechanisms we've seen. With a range of 20 kilometres (12.5 miles), the Bik.e has 20 inch wheels and folds to a footprint identical to that of a car spare tyre, enabling it to be stowed away easily. Whatsmore, the bik.e will definitely see production, and possibly even before the end of the year. VW's choice of form factor is as fascinating as its choice of a recognisable name is inspired. The Bik.e could turn out to be as important to VW as the iPod has been to Apple.

VW's choice of form factor is fascinating and it's an enormous shame that more detail has not been revealed. The bik.e reportedly weighs in at under 20 kilograms – porky for a bicycle but relatively light for an electric bike. Honda's U3-X and Toyota's Winglet weigh in at half the Bik.e's weight but the folding mechanism enables the bike to sit above the spare tyre in the wheel well without taking up any of the luggage space of most vehicles according to Volkswagen. Attempting to match Honda's U3-X weight and functionality would probably be beyond a stadium full of Phds but in creating a micro mobility concept designed to be an adjunct to a larger vehicle, VW recognises that 20 kg is relatively inconsequential.

No details have been given on its charging time, though it has been revealed that it can charge from the battery of the “mothership” - the car it will reside within. So if there's a powerpoint available at the destination, the bik.e can travel its full range of 20 kilometres. If not, then it can still offer a distance of 10km there and 10km back to the parent vehicle where it can be charged in transit.

The Bik.e has a top speed of 20 kmh (12.5mph), and reports from Beijing suggest that while it could easily be faster, its top speed has been pegged at 20 kmh because it enable the machine to be ridden in Germany without a helmet.

Several global trends are driving the need for personal micro mobility solutions - the world's population is ageing rapidly, the world is drowning in excrement and the world's roads will become hopelessly congested within a few decades.

Not much else is known at this stage about the Bik.e though it clearly uses batteries stored within the frame, cable-operated disc brakes on each wheel, injection moulded aluminium or magnesium construction reminiscent of the Gocycle) and integrated LED lighting. Even the split centrestand is a stroke of design genius, offering far better stability than the traditional prop-stand of a bicycle yet folding almost flush with the frame when in use. Volkswagen's sustainable design expertise is beginning to look mighty impressive and could have yielded an iconic design for the ages – perhaps even as representative of Volkswagen's brand values as that previous icon, the Beetle.

This is a landmark design, and one which, like Apple's iPod, could become an accessory on vehicles other than those wearing a VW badge.

Attachments: 5427723.jpg (13.6 Kb) · 2173689.jpg (10.2 Kb)

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 01/May/10, 12.26 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
And a few more images

Attachments: 9875196.jpg (12.6 Kb) · 2513999.jpg (10.3 Kb)

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 01/May/10, 5.34 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
That wont be cheap £££££££££ biggrin

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Monday, 03/May/10, 1.55 PM | Message # 4
Webmaster
NO probably not but cool hanging off of my bike rack on my all white motorhome all the same biggrin cool biggrin

Date: Tuesday, 04/May/10, 8.01 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Weighs in the same as a Kona full susser so that's good for a powered one.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Thursday, 06/May/10, 10.07 AM | Message # 6
Major general
Group: Guest Members
My main concern would be that frame, my wife had a bicycle of similar design, it broke in half.

I married an Alien.

Date: Thursday, 06/May/10, 11.05 AM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Dont thing i would be too worried about it breaking its a VW after all german built and tested after all cool

Date: Saturday, 08/May/10, 8.24 AM | Message # 8
Major general
Group: Guest Members
My wife's broke close to the headstock, I guess that there's a fair amount of stress/flex around that area. Can't beat a triangle design IMHO, got to be better built for the job.

I married an Alien.

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Information » Vw News » Volks Electric Bike announced
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: