Newest User

Members Rides

T5 -T5 Club Forums

Camping Club Forums 

T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

If Money Was No Object What Would You Own?
Total of answers: 103

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Front member replacement (Advice about replacing one.)
Front member replacement
Date: Tuesday, 28/Sep/10, 5.08 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, likely to be one of many! (much work to do!!!).

The front cross member on my 1993 T4 has corroded.

This is not the main cross member at the front of the engine, rather a short side bar presumably for support.

I have found the part on the T4's Rus website.

Anyone installed one of these? Are the parts any good, do they fit well?

Cheers in advance for any help/comments ...

\

Message edited by Admin - Tuesday, 28/Sep/10, 5.23 PM

Date: Tuesday, 28/Sep/10, 5.25 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Can't say i have but Wireman is currently doing a very similar thing to his see in Build Guides "The Worst T4" i am sure his information will help/assist you, its not a very common part to go as neither is rust apart from in teh normal places sadly both yours and his seem to be the exception to the rule surprised

Ps your doing fine edited to keep it simple was all cool

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Wednesday, 29/Sep/10, 11.21 PM | Message # 3
Major general
Hello neldadog I have cut my chassis out rigger iv just picked up the new part from Vw it's not a hard panel to replace if you can weld I found herring the under seal off the hardest part nothing a wirewheel on a grinder or a grinder it's self then you have to locate the spot welds and I would recommed a nice new spot weld drill piece and a electric drill battery ones are ok electrical ones a a bit tougher and when you drill them out don't have the drill on full speed and if you can help it only drill through the first skin then seperate with a chesiel and peel old panel away check out my pics my out rigger was made of sand paper and sealer if you need any other help let us now iv nearly rebuilt my whole front end

It's more than just a van!!

Date: Thursday, 30/Sep/10, 4.45 PM | Message # 4
Private
Cheers Ac,

Where are your pictures on the forum?

Have you also got the part number for the replacement front member from VW, how much did it cost?

I think this is something I am going to get a garage to do, know I local one where the gaffer knows t4's inside out.

\

Date: Thursday, 30/Sep/10, 7.10 PM | Message # 5
Major general
I can get you the part number for the part I got buts it for the left hand side there's a few pics of mine under the worst t4 I think admin got the wrong name lol. Cheers andy

Date: Thursday, 30/Sep/10, 7.25 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Opps i did soz thought you were Wireman soz i will rectify it tommoz Andy Stigman tongue

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Thursday, 30/Sep/10, 9.08 PM | Message # 7
Major general
Hahaha lol biggrin

Date: Thursday, 30/Sep/10, 9.10 PM | Message # 8
Major general
Ps I think I now know t4's inside and out

Date: Friday, 01/Oct/10, 8.25 AM | Message # 9
Private
I bet you do with all that work you have had to do.

I think a might be asking you a few more questions in the future, if that's ok!

With regards to the cross member, if you could get the part number, or any indication of what VW call it, that would be great.

How much did it cost you to buy?

Also, have you replaced the main front cross member, the bulky section behind the bumper? (sorry, not gen'd up on techinal words) I have seen you can get these from T4s RUS as well, about 180quid.

Cheers for all your help Andy

\

Date: Friday, 01/Oct/10, 9.38 AM | Message # 10
Major general
the chassis part you are looking at is £42.80 il dig the number out in a bit i have the recipt in my work van some where and yes i have changed the front panel but i toook it off my other t4 for now its an un boltable panel farly easy to remove give me a shout if you get stuck!!!
Andy

Date: Friday, 01/Oct/10, 12.13 PM | Message # 11
Private
Cheers buddy!

\

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Front member replacement (Advice about replacing one.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: