T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Would You Stop For Another T4 Onwer
Total of answers: 257

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » POP UP ROOF T5 ("Brand new and leaking")
POP UP ROOF T5
Date: Thursday, 11/Aug/11, 11.12 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Hello There folks !

My husband and I have bought a brand new T5 LWB conversion. Its an absolutely fabulous vehicle...apart from......a VERY VERY damp pop up roof. Its been back once for a "repair" but, sadly, the whole of the canvas feels wet to the touch and drips run down from the zip seams and puddles in a ledge. I just feel the canvas (very flimsy cotton) is just not waterproof. How waterproof are they supposed to be ? We were told (when we took it back) it is not to be raised in heavy rain. I was flabbergasted ! For 42k I expected an all weather vehicle. If I even suspected this we would have gone for a hi roof and not pop up top. Are there different types of material used for this canvas popup ? Can anybody help. This is all new to us and we are not sure what to expect. Any replies REALLY appreciated.
Thank You, BETHAN

Date: Thursday, 11/Aug/11, 2.18 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi Bethan & welcome I cannot comment as I am not sure of the answere but i will call in someone who hopefully can provide you with an answer.

Who supplied the pop top & do you know the make of it ?

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Thursday, 11/Aug/11, 2.30 PM | Message # 3
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Hi there having extensively researched this subject pre building my all be it T4 pop top last year i can only add that:

A - It should behave the same as any tent in reality... the guys will tell you i had mine in Matlock at our meet last August in a monsoon parked at the top of a hillside on to the weather and apart from being rocked to sleep it NEVER LET ANY WATER IN

B - You will always get condensation on the inside however if your not ventilating crack the front windows open just a notch when sleeping inside should stop that

C - There are any number of products on tehmarket to re-waterproof tents all of which are either paint or spray on products that amy soilve this issue available from any caming or caravan shop most often i personally have always used golf waterproofing liquids having found them far superior in lastingness and quality in operation more expensive but if bought in 5 gallon drum quite cost effective [i probabaly still have a 5 gallon one somewhere here biggrin :D ]

However seeing as its new and very expensive, if i were you i would regect it as NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and take it back to the supplier and demand a refund or at least a new canvas if not complete pop top ... It would be helpfull also to know what make and model to which you refer ....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Thursday, 11/Aug/11, 4.51 PM | Message # 4
Private
Hi There Guys
Thanks for the responses.
The T5 was bought BRAND NEW from Danburys two months ago. It cost us 42k. We have already returned it to Bristol once and were then told it was now watertight. It is certainly not the case ! The water is visibly running from the stitching seams at the bottom of a window opening. We are , obvioulsy, discussing with Danburys as it is under warranty.
What I am trying to ascertain is if this is a common problem with pop up roofs ?? Are they really well and truly waterproof ???
Is there a way of adding EXTRA waterproofing ? I appreciate we should not have to add an extra anything given its two months old and cost 42k.
Arrrrgh!
Thanks for any responses
BETHAN

Date: Friday, 12/Aug/11, 9.33 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Hi Bethan, sorry to hear about your problems. If it is just coming from the seams then yes, there are plenty of aftermarket waterproofers available from any tent supplier. Application is quite simple so should solve your problem. If the whole canvas is still wet then that's a different matter. Pop tops should be waterproof in all weathers. Tent material is usually waterproofed at the factory but as a precaution, a tube of solution is usually supplied with a new one in case the seams leak.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Saturday, 13/Aug/11, 0.40 AM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
do they quote a hydrostaic number for the waterproofing like 4000 hydrostatic head

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Wednesday, 17/Aug/11, 3.06 AM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Group: Admin
I reiterate above reject it if your not happy being the only one who has owned such a beast from the assembled crew my findings are above I personally after paying that type of money wouldnt accept it as not fit for purposes

But also the only real cures are as above it is after all a tent on your roof all be it an fancy, expensive tent but a tent all the same and as such should be treated as such fabisol is the waterproofed I could remember the name of that should work but I really don't see why you should need to touch a brand new unused roof to be quite honest with you ......

I changed to a hightop not because of water ingress but due to severe heat loss as soon as the roof is raised all internal heat is lost defeating the purpose of having the heating in the first place and with the solid fiberglass roof the retention is way better.

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Wednesday, 17/Aug/11, 12.10 PM | Message # 8
Major general
sounds like the seams were not taped propperly prior to stitching together

a common problem in cheap poptops my old mans transit had a cheap pop top fitted and leaked from the seams all the time it was removed and the seams retaped and restitched problem solved.

spraying with waterproofing spray will have very little effect if the seams are shot

\

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » POP UP ROOF T5 ("Brand new and leaking")
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: