Advertise

Search

Polls

What is the best colour for a T4
Total of answers: 406

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Parts/Acc's For Sale & Wanted » Roof Rack for a T4.
Roof Rack for a T4.
Date: Friday, 03/Sep/10, 5.37 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Members
Hello.

Will a roof rack from a year 2002 Transporter T4 fit onto a year 2003 T4 Caravelle please?. confused

Are the roof channels the same in pre 2002 models as they are in post 2002 models? confused

Thank you

1997 VW Transporter T4 1.9 Wheelchair Accessible. { Fathers }
2003 VW Caravelle T4 2.5 TDI 9 Seater. { Mine }

Date: Friday, 03/Sep/10, 5.54 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Simply YES they are as far as i know all the roof channels on T4's are the same .... cool

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 03/Sep/10, 5.59 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a nice T4 Roof Rack for sale locally but wasn't sure.

Date: Friday, 03/Sep/10, 6.03 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant
Just found out that it is for a SWB T4.

My T4 is the LWB version.

Will the roof rack still be Ok on a LWB please?.

Thanks

Date: Saturday, 04/Sep/10, 1.54 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Yes it will be fine a bit shorter possibly all of a few inches which when on will make no difference in length only ...

Go on you know you want to ..... cool

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 04/Sep/10, 2.42 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Depending on what you intend to carry the shorter one mau be all you need.......

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Saturday, 04/Sep/10, 5.22 PM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Its about all of 4" - 5" shorter so unless its going to be a grandfather clock worth zillions i doubt it will make any real difference buddy cool It was a LWB rack i had on my swb [this one when i got it] and all it meant was the overhang to the rear came a bit farther back so in consequence on a lwb it would sit a bit further towards the front unless of course its a bar type rack which then means its irrelevant as the bars can be set anywhere along the roofs length cool anyway

Date: Saturday, 04/Sep/10, 6.58 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant
Thanks for the replies.

You were right Admin. smile

I did want to and I will be picking it up tomorrow sometime.

Thanks Again.

Date: Sunday, 05/Sep/10, 12.24 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
No probs [pat on the back for Dougie biggrin ]

Date: Sunday, 05/Sep/10, 12.34 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant
Roof rack now fitted to my T4.

Looking for a Decent Tow Bar and electrics next but I think I will have those professionally fitted.

Thanks for the Help.

Date: Sunday, 05/Sep/10, 12.43 PM | Message # 11
Webmaster
Towbar is a breeze to fit btw it bolts to predrilled holes in your chassis you simply cant go wrong and the wiring is straightforward even pro done its only scotchlocked to the feeds in your rear lights easy peasy £80 for your bar off fleabay and about £15 for a good wiring kit.

About £170 ish pro fitted btw for a bar + elects

Go for it you know you want too .......

Date: Sunday, 05/Sep/10, 1.01 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant
I Definitely Do Want To but I will have to wait a little while until I build up my finances. smile

Date: Monday, 06/Sep/10, 10.42 PM | Message # 13
Major general
I don't recommend using scotch locks as they can be a fire hazard if not insulated properly.

If you wanted:
You can buy a plug-in harness for T4 tow-bar electrics. It plugs into a spare socket on the back of one of the rear light clusters. They can often be found on ebay.

"Rally Bus" - Jim - Golf MK4 1.9TDI - Club Logo Designer

Message edited by RallyBus - Monday, 06/Sep/10, 10.50 PM

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 4.00 AM | Message # 14
Generalissimo
I havent found them for the T4 yet if youve got a link then mail it to me jim as all I have found is wire in harness's & ive got severall sets of those a few balls but no rear bar.

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 1.35 PM | Message # 15
Webmaster
@ Jim - Likewise i have never heard of a plug in harness for a T4 surely they are to old for such easy ways of doing things ? i link would be great Jim !! i know for much newer cars this is the way it is done but i really doubt it im sure i could as usual be proven wrong though...

I have had and have fitted several bars and Scotchloks are the way the proffesionals do it ............ Have a look Indespension do it this way today still i beelive [at least last time they did one for us they did?] on non harness vehicles, i cant say i have ever heard of a fire risk using them as for starters they are a well used item in the vehicle trade, and secondly the power in a light wire is so low i can't really see it being of any concern........ I was going to suggest shrink tape but i wasnt sure the user would know what i meant my choice most often now if space and operation allow fantastic stuff........ Every electrical fitment required proper insulation if not any wire will be a risk surely however with all light units being plastic the surrounds being plastic and it being an area that once it is completed there should be no need to access it agfain there is minimum risk of dilodging anything i would be happy to use properly taped up scotchloks any day and wouldnt worry at all about it.....

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 1.38 PM | Message # 16
Webmaster
@ Jedi - Take the easy option and D.I.Y then the wring kit comes with a diagram and is so easy a child could manage it seriously im no electrical genius or pro thats for sure if i can do it anyone can the mounting of the bar is as easy everything comes in the kit with instructions the holes are pre drilled in your chassis simply put bolts through tighten and hay presto a towbar in 1/2 hr the fitters are getting money for old rope here we are all capable of doing this task ourselves if you can [and you did] fit the roofrack yourself you can do this to....

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 1.51 PM | Message # 17
Generalissimo
Quote (Admin)
I was going to suggest shrink tape

Electrical Insulation Tape - Black electric Tape

I have searched several Tow bar sites & they come up with wire up harness for the T4.

Echo Dougie comment Drop spare & 4 Bolts later tow bracket is on Replace Spare & bolt on 2 bolts for tow ball if not already done & the short wire up job.

Id cut the outer sheif of the cable & not the inner cable & the pass the new cable through the original cable & add a bit of solder & electrical tape. Job Done.

You could cut em all & use Heat Shrink for a good seal but you will still need to coat with electrical tape.

Same goes for those plastic push on clips cover them liberally with electrical tape.

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 2.02 PM | Message # 18
Webmaster
Quote (RS_ROB)
Electrical Insulation Tape - Black electric Tape

Not electical tape heat shrink tape which when applied over joined wires you lightly heat with a lighter and it moulds to the shape and effectively joins the wires so they never split good as pre cut and joined ones

Details
The tubing is placed over the connection to be protected and then heated with an oven, hot air gun or similar tool. Convenient, but less effective, methods for shrinking the tube include a soldering iron (held in close proximity, but not touching the tube) or the heat from a lighter. These processes cause the tubing to contract as far as one sixth of its original diameter (dependent on the heat shrink, 2:1 is the most common), providing a snug fit over irregularly shaped joints. This provides good electrical insulation, protection from dust, solvents and other foreign materials, as well as strain relief. If overheated, heat shrink tubing can melt, scorch or catch fire like any other plastic.

Some types of heat shrink contain a layer of thermoplastic adhesive on the inside to help provide a good seal and better adhesion, while others rely on friction from the closely conforming materials. Heating plain, non-adhesive shrink tube to very near the melting point may allow it to fuse to the underlying material as well.

One application that has used this product in large quantities since the early 1970s is the covering of fibreglass helical antennas used extensively for 27 MHz CB Radio. Many millions of these antennas have been coated with this versatile plastic shrink tube product.

How To

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 3.34 PM | Message # 19
Major general
I can't find the one for the T4, but I'm sure you can get one. Get in touch with VAG.

"Rally Bus" - Jim - Golf MK4 1.9TDI - Club Logo Designer

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 4.43 PM | Message # 20
Webmaster
Emm i have to say i have just phoned my local VW parts dept - who dont know what im talking about ??? it may exist dont know but as i say i have yet to see one we shall keep looking it certainly makes the job far easier that's for sure biggrin as its only plugging in a plug - but hardwiring it is simple to its only really feeds to indicators, side lights, brake lights and a fog light with a common shared earth and a live to the bleeper for the indicators school room stuff for sure, one 7 core cable feeds the lot, follow the enclosed simple wiring diagram and Bob's your Auntie ......

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 4.43 PM | Message # 21
Lieutenant
My Caravelle with rack fitted ...

Attachments: 3788159.jpg (24.5 Kb)

Message edited by Admin - Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 7.00 PM

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 7.01 PM | Message # 22
Webmaster
Identical to the one we scrapped that was brand new when i got this T4 a builder rack with ladder roller on its rear

Attachments: 0267257.jpg (7.1 Kb)

Date: Tuesday, 07/Sep/10, 7.27 PM | Message # 23
Lieutenant
It is Very Heavy but also Very Well designed and Manufactured.

Date: Wednesday, 08/Sep/10, 4.32 PM | Message # 24
Webmaster
I just thought it looked to commercial besides mine was having a pop top fitted surprised

Date: Wednesday, 08/Sep/10, 4.34 PM | Message # 25
Webmaster
Btw a nice set of chrome over arches would look good on your black shiny new toy buddy ...... Jk for them or Van-x

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Parts/Acc's For Sale & Wanted » Roof Rack for a T4.
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: