T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

How low is yours
Total of answers: 216

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Website/Ebay Finds » Ebay scam....
Ebay scam....
Date: Saturday, 24/Jul/10, 10.24 AM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Members
Here's a thing.

There was a very clean T25 westy camper on ebay the other day, with a 99p start. Lots of nice pics showing a very clean camper for sale not too far away from me in the highlands. What was clear from the pics is that it wasn't the town that the location was given as. Anyway, some of the VW crowd up here (me included) started to bid and ask questions, the only reply being that the seller would take £2500 for the and would deliver it for a fee. There were no responses for any of the requests to view. The camper was real and legal, the local plod verified that from the reg number visible in the pics.
I guess a number of folk complained to ebay as the item was removed by ebay. This type of scam is quite usual as it turns out and had the seller been a bit sharper, may even have found a sucker to pay a deposit and a delivery fee, of course with no intent to sell the vehicle that was never theirs to begin with. Just keep the deposit and the delivery fee.

Ah that's better, a good rant always gets the day off to a good start.

Best wishes to all and watch out for the scammers!

Bomber

I love the smell of bacon in the morning...

Date: Saturday, 24/Jul/10, 12.09 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
I had one scammer try it on with me, while searching ebay I found this T5 130 ata an amazing price so I asked the questions & got the response "you pay for the van through ebay & I will deliver it free of charge" ok but I really need info on the van so pestered him for info. Id already done a check on the number plate & it didnt exist so a week of pestering went by & the van disapeared of ebay 1 hour after my first contact then reapeared a few days later only to grace ebay for a few hours until i pestered him again, still the only responce i got was the same so i knew something was up but I haddnt got the listing number so couldnt complain so in the end just told him to do one biggrin

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Saturday, 24/Jul/10, 1.00 PM | Message # 3
Webmaster
Group: Admin
I remember that saga as it was going on Rob i do beleive we discussed it at the time [your better with a T4 anyway biggrin cool so he probably did you a favour]

Many here will know my feelings on Flea-Bay and its many con-men down right con artists and such like hating using it and will now not do so, although my missus definately uses it for smaller items and has thus far had no real issues i simply think in short we that is T4 -T5 owners are essentially making it harder on ourselves [bear with me here] Bomber or any T25/T3 T2 and Splitty owners have already been through this fate, as we the enthusiasts make these vehicles more popular/desirable so prices rise and so they raise more interest from the robbing conning scum that pray on E-Bay and other similar sites preying on us to take at face value what we read DO NOT EVER do it.......If verification can not be made that the seller has the vehicle and it is theirs better and probably the safest way is to physically view every vehicle [we know its a bind, but better than loosing thousands surely] my own experiences last year where i viewed only 2 taught me NOT to go on a picture alone as they to lie BIGTIME neither was even close to as described one in particular was definately nothing better than scrap..........teaching me if i cant view and make my own mind up from what i see i wont bid on it where as if i had of just bid welll we all know what the end results are on that one...

I also do not think that E-bay do enoughj to stop these scammers, i know via IP address where everyone of our members are located if i choose to check it why cant they and cross reference this against the email, address details and payment details that an E-bay user HAS to give and decide inteligently if this is some dude in Niarobi or a dude in Dundee as he claims which would cut a lot of this type of scams out the water before they had a chance to con anyone not difficult really on so many levels E-bay are only interested in making money however they manage it seems fine by them ?????

This post is being moved to the relevant forum for search purposes biggrin

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 24/Jul/10, 9.38 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Jings! Sounds familiar. I bought my white van on ebay from a Polish guy in Bristol who said he would deliver for a fee. I paid the full amount via paypal. Even when he didn't turn up until seven hours later, the alarm bells were not ringing. Happily on this occasion it was down to him having too much vodka the evening before and he was most apologetic. Easy to see how this could have turned out though. Cheers for that info. Will be more careful in future. That's four vehicles now bought in this way. The Caravelle I paid on the nose in cash after going for a viewing. Much more sensible! biggrin

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Sunday, 25/Jul/10, 2.53 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
Group: Members
Generally I only use ebay to sell, these past weeks I've been selling crap out of my loft. Well, if I haven't looked at it in three years. do I need it? I have stuff on ebay as I type. For selling it's great.
Have only bought a few small items, wouldn't dream of buying a vehicle without looking at it first!

It's interesting that ebay seem so relaxed about letting anyone sell any vehicle with no check at all. Perhaps a copy of the V5 should be shown as a document on the ad? Odd that they don't care....

I see one of my items has a bid, so better go and pack it, that's another fifty quid in the fund...

Take care all,

Bomber

I love the smell of bacon in the morning...

Date: Sunday, 25/Jul/10, 12.50 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Yip Ebay is such a big money maker this is why they dont care they also won Paypal btw so you are paying fees essentially twice on every item which i also object to it should be age varified and only transacted via credit card where at least we have some come back Chas as i have said before you have my friend been very lucky without a doubt but i hassen to add that luck the way things are now would without doubt run out pretty quickly epecially buying T4's as there as we know to our costs many ripp off conmen and down right theives in our midst without a shadow of a doubt....

Bomber funny you should say its better for selling than buying my sentiments exactly and what we use it for now, my missus regularily sells off stuff they refused an add to sell me though surprised try as she may she couldnt find a suitable way to advertise me that would reveal what i was ????

Its a shame really another advancement that could off been so good with even simple security measures in place to safegaurd its users but like so many of these massive sites Facebook Msn [messenger] E-Bay - and so many thousands more where they are money orientated [certain car related sites included in that to btw surprised ] and simply do not care if they were high street stores their lack of customer service/s would of put them out of business long time ago..

Dont think you are safe on Auto-Trader or Gumtree and such like either - quite simply your NOT in my and trading standards and protection agencies views if you do NOT meet a seller at HIS home, check it is his home do not settle for standing outside ask to use the toilet and check the V5 corisponds with the address your at, and then do all the usual checks if you dont you are a fool, where possible pay in a way that can be traced and check everything several times over until your happy a geneuine seller will not be phased by this where as a con-man will get very tetchy quite quickly always take a mate or two with you all off which are to one protect you, two look at the seller when you are talking to him/her assessing their movemnets actions a conman/woman is usually easy to spot if in person the problem is they now hide behind a computer screen somewhere in the back of beyond cowards is what they are we as honest responsible VW owners i beleive have a duty to report and keep reporting until these scam ads are removed it could be you next which is the way i think of it it.... i reported both of the ones i was involved in and they were removed whether before a buyer was found i dont know ?? we all need to be vigilant and get into the habit of reporting things/items and people who are not as they seem......

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Website/Ebay Finds » Ebay scam....
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: