[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Website/Ebay Finds » Mini oven
Mini oven
Date: Sunday, 06/Jun/10, 2.38 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Guest Members
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/product....r-600w-

Anyone actually use one of these small portable type ovens in their van?

What's the performance like, how long does it take to cook a sausage roll for example?

I married an Alien.

Date: Sunday, 06/Jun/10, 10.24 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
No but have considered the Samsung Road Pro 12v microwave they aint cheap but can be picked up on ebay for £100 or so if your lucky, ive seen em go for quite a bit more though.
They do require a direct feed from the battery.

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Monday, 07/Jun/10, 11.23 AM | Message # 3
Webmaster
Group: Admin
I have a small similar oven i bought in Aldi's a few years back for my Ducato conversion which was about the same measurements and power useage it had two electric rings up top also as a double bonus and was in white [£29.99 i do recall] and it was just exactly the right size to fit inside a single kitchen wall cab which was nice as our complete interior was constructed from them biggrin cool

Trouble is it is a lot of power required [constantly] so you would need to be on a site all the time with 240v hook-up sad to make use of it, we had a an inbuilt deisel generator which still struggled to work both it and lights, 600w for say 1/2hr to heat your sausage roll from any invertor is a big ask even a 1300w one it would therefore only really be of any use to a motorhome wanting to go to "proper" campsites

more eco friendly i would of thought to jump on your bike to the local Greggs bakers biggrin cool biggrin

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Monday, 07/Jun/10, 2.41 PM | Message # 4
Major general
[quote=Admin]Trouble is it is a lot of power required [constantly] so you would need to be on a site all the time with 240v hook-up to make use of it, we had a an inbuilt deisel generator which still struggled to work both it and lights, 600w for say 1/2hr to heat your sausage roll from any invertor is a big ask even a 1300w one it would therefore only really be of any use to a motorhome wanting to go to "proper" campsites[/quote]

Thanks, very useful, I had guessed that at only 600w it's not going to be lightning fast but hey, we'll be on holiday so the wife can take her time with me dinner. biggrin

We only really go to sites with hook up so powering it is not an issue, we only want it for the oven, don't need one with rings cos we need it to be as small as possible to pack, it would be just a stop gap till (hopefully) next year when we can trade up to a newer,bigger more equipped van.

I married an Alien.

Date: Monday, 07/Jun/10, 7.17 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Well your answer is above then cool tried & tested biggrin

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 3.02 PM | Message # 6
Major general
Yes, I think we will buy one when we see them, I'm pretty sure I saw them for sale in the Pound stretcher stores at some point in the past, I know that a lot of petrol stations in France sell them, not sure if they would handle our 240V though. question

I married an Alien.

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 3.29 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
A few places to look at for both 12v & 24v

Lorry Bits

Truckstuff

Road Pro

also any truckstops though be warned they sell the same stuff but at a higher price, Truckstop prices vary & you will always hear truckers talking about the cheapest place to buy each item though never hear any of them buy online.

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 6.02 PM | Message # 8
Webmaster
Earthman your right salute salute1 salute2 song i'm sure you could be right and im sure £29.99 was its price clicky linky for a wee suprise

Date: Wednesday, 09/Jun/10, 2.45 PM | Message # 9
Major general
I'm surprised that it states a 9Litre capacity, I wonder if that is correct??

Others that I have seen look like they would hold no more than a couple of large sausages rolls or a 9" pizza, ideally that's the size I'm after, just to keep the overall size of the unit down to a minimum. smile

I married an Alien.

Date: Wednesday, 09/Jun/10, 6.18 PM | Message # 10
Webmaster
Mine would take easily 9 litres of beer cool biggrin cool

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 2.28 PM | Message # 11
Major general
Beer would be much better in a fridge though. smile

I married an Alien.

Date: Thursday, 10/Jun/10, 6.34 PM | Message # 12
Webmaster
I suppose so but you get the point cool biggrin cool i am sure that the manufacturers have got it right........ btw saw one today similar mounted under the hob looked the dogs as it was all fully fitted couldnt tell it wasnt original and i have seen some similar ones fitted in the next unit along where there is a fridge in below the hob both ways are the way to have it onboard i would think surprised

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 10.11 AM | Message # 13
Major general
[quote=Admin]today similar mounted under the hob looked the dogs as it was all fully fitted couldnt tell it wasnt original and i have seen some similar ones fitted in the next unit along where there is a fridge in below the hob[/quote]

Hmm, interesting, I've only really noticed the 'normal' all in one type of cookers fitted in campers, where the grill/oven is below the rings, they do take up a fair amount of space though, hence being in the larger coach built motorhomes.

If you are tight on space, which would you rather have, an oven or a microwave?

I married an Alien.

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 11.24 AM | Message # 14
Generalissimo
Microwave all day long for me wink

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 11.34 AM | Message # 15
Webmaster
Yip i think me too in honesty, apart from anything else its quicker so less cooking smells which in a confined area can only be good surely cool

But were poor were only having a slim line 2 ring cooker [ah poor us eh but fear not we have a full toliet cool biggrin cool ] in honesty cooking is NOT a copnsideration for us in truth and not from a space point of view really more from a van not smelling of sausages all day point of view biggrin in the almost 2 yrs and several trips out in my previous one [my test bed] we cooked a whole once and that was only bacon for breakfast the once the wein was with us so as a result we would far rather have the space the cooker and fridge takes up as a bog sound sensible no i didnt think so either untill i say the layout [all will be revealed very soon now we are in the final stages of build not long now phewwwww]

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 3.02 PM | Message # 16
Major general
I guess we do some sort of cooking in ours a fair bit then, always breakfast even if it's just toast, main meals would be potatoes,pasta,sausages,fried eggs etc.

I married an Alien.

Date: Friday, 11/Jun/10, 6.19 PM | Message # 17
Webmaster
Never made any meal in ours EVER

As we beleive if on holiday my missus would not be getting a holiday if she had to cook would she ?? apart from the condensation, smell and washing up issues, each to there own plenty of cheap places to eat as far as i can see really no matter where you are.....

We tend to eat out or if only away for a day will go to a chinese or mcd's and eat it in the van which all be it smells for a short while but quickly leaves where as cooking in it the smells linger through your bedding everything ....

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » Shopping Mall » Website/Ebay Finds » Mini oven
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: