• Page 1 of 2
  • »
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Camping Club » Events » Windsor leisure show
Windsor leisure show
Date: Saturday, 27/Mar/10, 10.04 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Guest Members
http://www.britishleisureshow.com/

Anyone go to this the other week? We were lucky enough to win tickets, pretty good show, I'm sure it will be back next year.

We saw a really smart, almost space age conversion, the inside were mostly made from a white moulded plastic, one piece covered the whole toilet/shower/kitchen/sink area, wife commented on how easy it would be to keep clean. There were not much wood in there period, hopefully it would fair better over the years then bits of laminate shrinking/peeling off like all normal conversions we all know.

Now here's the bad part, it were on a Citroen Relay panel van,can't for the life of me remember the name of the company who made it.

I married an Alien.

Date: Sunday, 28/Mar/10, 6.44 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Dehler have been doing similar conversions to T4's for years .....
[Cant find any images right now but i will]
Citreon dont get me started lol

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Monday, 29/Mar/10, 3.37 PM | Message # 3
Major general
[quote=Admin]Dehler have been doing similar conversions to T4's for years .....[/quote]

Never heard of that company, all I'm getting via google is boats???

Would be interested to see if the images you have in mind are the same as what I saw.

I married an Alien.

Date: Tuesday, 30/Mar/10, 12.04 PM | Message # 4
Webmaster
Dehler do indeed do boats you clealry are not trying hard enough there are several Dehler sites must be that Chrome nonsense again biggrin here my IE9 got it on Ask in 2 seconds Dehler DE or

There is loads of info on them havent had time to check the links above they are just the first 2 i found but i am sure interior images will be available within

The scheme you describe has been about foir years and years in some form or another and like most things claimed to be new isn't what you saw may be however a modern interpretaion on the previous ones apart from which there are several compoanies doing seperates in fibreglass which when placed together would essentially give the same effect only you could have it your way again without spending silly sorts of money, as im sure the one you were looking at way....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 30/Mar/10, 12.19 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Citreon Motorhomes 2010

This is part of the interior from the ONLY citreon motorhome company with an exibit at Windsor Leisure show wacko

Attachments: 7169605.jpg (46.7 Kb)

Date: Tuesday, 30/Mar/10, 12.23 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster

[And heres one from a smaller Citreon model based on the Blipper now we no its tiny its merely to show the one piece interior design]
Attachments: 3592451.jpg (103.5 Kb)

Date: Tuesday, 30/Mar/10, 7.17 PM | Message # 7
Major general
[quote=Admin]Citreon Motorhomes 2010

This is part of the interior from the ONLY citreon motorhome company with an exibit at Windsor Leisure show [/quote]

Yes, that's the one, well done for finding that.
I'm not sure about those green seats though, apart from that it's very neat, don't think the pictures really show how much space there is, it did seem less cramped inside compared to many we've seen.

I married an Alien.

Date: Thursday, 01/Apr/10, 3.53 PM | Message # 8
Webmaster
My god have i pleased you finally another date for my diary biggrin biggrin this is rapidly becoming a habit shame it's about a Citreon however tongue [who needs Chrome eh, IE found it first time happy happy ]

I shall keep you with VW if its the last thing i do.... wacko

Date: Thursday, 01/Apr/10, 3.59 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
Ps they are Romahomes a design that has been about for absolutely YONKS Romahome UK , see i do know my stuff... biggrin

Makers of the horrible Hi-Lows on the C15 chassis yuk if that's your tastes im getting seriously worried its a good doctor you need my friend, and also along with Island Plastics from their native IOW makers of the first dismountable campers which were ok my caddy dismountable was a copy of one a good use of space but very cramped inside .......fibreglass however so forever repairable which was good Caddyshack

[nice shame its not on a Caddy though}

[Much rather have which was on a Caddy pick up is easily removable and ends up being a pick-up, a van and a camper easily and comfortably sleeping 2]

The new Caddy campers.....[basic model]

Attachments: 6706059.jpg (2.3 Kb) · 3809485.jpg (3.0 Kb)

Date: Thursday, 01/Apr/10, 9.23 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Smart peice of kit

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Friday, 02/Apr/10, 3.48 PM | Message # 11
Webmaster
I knew i had featured this before but couldnt fin dit it is a Wellhouse manufactured VW caddy to all intents and purposes a mini T4/T5 way cool but to expensive still mini pop top is much like the Citreon one above but way better quality

Attachments: 6562956.jpg (11.1 Kb) · 0167304.jpg (4.7 Kb)

Date: Friday, 02/Apr/10, 3.51 PM | Message # 12
Webmaster
I think you would agree a mini T4 conversion

Available new from Wellhouse for around £26k

Attachments: 3335989.jpg (3.2 Kb) · 9793217.jpg (2.5 Kb)

Date: Friday, 02/Apr/10, 4.04 PM | Message # 13
Webmaster

A few more images for you

Attachments: 7722335.jpg (6.8 Kb) · 2460798.jpg (6.1 Kb)

Date: Friday, 02/Apr/10, 4.07 PM | Message # 14
Webmaster

Very very similar to a T4/T5 design but then most "van" conversiosn stay with a R/R and side run cupbaords as the best use of availble space i like the idea of being able to stash it in the garage when not in use that appeals to us where we use the Arastraphy for daily transport...

Attachments: 9575179.jpg (2.5 Kb) · 3928301.jpg (46.5 Kb)

Date: Saturday, 03/Apr/10, 10.22 PM | Message # 15
Major general
All very good, I'm sure those examples would suit many, we really want to move up in size next time so it's got to be a Hi top and have a shower/toilet.

I just got the Romahome brochure today, found an R30 on a 53 plate on the net for 23k, still a lot of money, surprised that they have been around for at least 7 years.

Nothing is set in stone, may end up with a Sprinter or a Crafter in the end, depends on if the layout is suitable and how much you can get a Crafter for? Who actually does a conversion based on the Crafter?

I married an Alien.

Date: Sunday, 04/Apr/10, 2.30 PM | Message # 16
Webmaster
Any convertor will convert ANY van you give them to convert a lwb Hi-topped T4/T5 will allow enough space for a shower ??

Romahome have been around for easily 25+ yrs dont know where you get 7 from ??

Always assosciated with the "lower" end of the market though i.e using cheaper base vehicles you only get what you pay for at the end of the day as you seem hell bent on buying what you beleive to be the best ie a manufactred vehicle as against a ciustom built then Delthess or Hymer would probably be the best.....although knowhere will you pick up anything half decent under 20k [ish] that would be worth having long term.....

Citreon - Crafter or Merc/Crafter EVERYTIME same chassis as the Merc but yet better built loads upon loads of courier companies use them everyday.......by the way a small point to point out most if not all conversion companies if not supplying a split new van base will but from auctions and what they are buying is EX lease courier vans mainly...... so whilst you may believe they have found you a good low mileage example that has been privately owned lets face facts no one buys a van as a private car every van especially large vans like you are after will of been company owned....florists do not use hi-topped lwb vans i am afraid......

All be it not a UK company but heres one found in 2 secs on Google in Us who convert Sprinters HERE supplying everything you could possibly want if the likes of that doesnt do, i really dont know what would, that could also be on a Crafter chassis and would be way better if it was.....

Date: Sunday, 04/Apr/10, 8.00 PM | Message # 17
Major general
I know that Romahome have been around for more than 7 years, I don't know how long they have made the R30 for though, the oldest one I've found so far is on a 53 plate, maybe you can get an older example of that??

I know you can get a shower in a T4/5 but the whole van just ain't wide enough for us any more, we want a BIGGER van PERIOD.

I've worked for companies all my life who use vans for their business, they are thrashed to pieces by the lowly paid van drivers, I know because I'm one of them biggrin that's why I'm not going down the 'buy a van get some small conversion company to convert it route' it's just not worth the hassle to me.

'Proper' motorhome conversion companies buy the vans brand new from the factory, OK us second hand buyers are still paying a premium for that years down the line but hopefully all the past owners have treated it with more care unlike white van man. tongue

I married an Alien.

Date: Sunday, 04/Apr/10, 8.13 PM | Message # 18
Webmaster
If you say so however paying in excess of 3 times what an equivalent built one would cost for a dod of wood and a toilet/shower etc which after all is ALL the same its all Voyinger ply made after all all made with airguns and a bit of wood glue far less most use Thetford toilet/showers of the very same model as will be in mine !!!!!

Seems totally excesive to me [and it would seem a greater majority of people nowadays] with several solely T4/T5 companies finding business let alone all the other makes i am not so intrested in, who have now learnt that bigger and better things can be bought/got for lesser money that driving a brand name it's down right brand snobbery that's all it is, i am unable to see where the difference is, it is what is killing the UK market when most are manufactured in Slovakia etc to keep to a price and your trying to tell us they are better value than one you can see in front of you being built bit by bit, choose what and what isn't being used in that build, i only hope your mistaken trust doesn't come back to haunt you.....maybe in 1990 odd when your current one was new this was the case but it most certainly is not today....

Maybe you should as i have suggested previously join a few marque specific communities of ones you may be interested in and then you would get a better feel for what does go wrong, that will keep you busy for a while as there is loads of issues with several of the ones you have so far mentioned......

Date: Sunday, 04/Apr/10, 8.58 PM | Message # 19
Major general
We have thought about a self build, even at the last show in Windsor we looked at a couple of those companies and what they can do but the finished product just don't look as good as the likes of Autosleeper,Autotrail or even that R30, well to us anyway.

It's got nothing to do with snobbery in our case, we own Italian cars after all biggrin it's just what looks/feels right for us, each to their own, for those of you that have got the time and want the hassle of self build good luck to you.

I married an Alien.

Date: Tuesday, 06/Apr/10, 3.30 PM | Message # 20
Webmaster
Indeed but a self build doesnt need to be self built is where i have been trying to get you to understand

Take ours we are getting it selfbuilt in so much as i am desciding what and where everything goes and indeed what is being used a fact you will never be able to do with likes of an Autosleeper etc why? simple they build what they think the customer wants not what they actually want a lot of the time, trying to appeal to mass market...as do house builders where a housing estate is all the same one after another no change no originality at all.... if you want to drive about in a box the same as everyone else that has to much money feel free be my guest, i simply know for fact you are getting nothing better than you would giving a new bus to several of the bespoke makers out there.....

In many cases it would essentially be a kin to the difference between a Lada and a Aston where the Lada was made to a price in a soviet block country where standards and materilas are not as good, where the Aston was made in the UK by UK craftsmen i know which i would far rather have any day.....

The Romahome R30 is not to bad overpriced for what you get but it is the case with most, interior space wise they are all much of a muchness as they are all bounded by the size of the rear of the van as they are all based on vans bodies after all...have you looked into the base interior measurements of say a Citreon or Fiat as against a T4 lwb Hi top i think if you did you would find that the T5 is marginally larger, as for having space for a toilet/shower and actually being able to use them in particular the shower i honestly think you are deluding yourself there is very little room in them any one of them for such luxuries to make real use of such luxuries you really need to move up to a coachbuilt or A-Class which does have the space, the Caravan & Camping club did a survey a few years back on just how many owners of both caravans and motorhomes where showers were fitted to see how many actually used the shower for anything more than storage of their patio furniture an astounding 85% admitted to never having used the shower ever as most sites now have excellent shower facilities [take Griezdale where some of us meet a few weeks back a small farm site with exceellent seperate male and female showers with 24hr piping hot water] negating the need nowadays for such luxuries a toilet however my missus would not be without as im sure most wouldnt and to be honest a porta potti just wouldnt do hense we are fitting the exact model of Thetford cassette unit fitted to most motorhomes imaterial to cost....

I remain unconvinced that paying in excess of 20k will get you a better quality or better specced vehicle no matter which make you care to focus on, in the models you are considering space is much the same across them all thus what they can sqeeze in is likewise much the same, most construct the same designs there is no originality no differences and just a massive overpriced vehicle at the end of it all....by the way take a Crafter to Romahoem and doubtless they would convert it also for a price...

Date: Sunday, 11/Apr/10, 7.59 PM | Message # 21
Major general
My wife thinks I'm fussy when it comes to choosing vehicles, god only knows what she would call you if you can't find one of the many different layouts that are already around suitable. biggrin Surely what the mass market want is keeping these companies in business at the end of the day, they can't be getting it that wrong or they would go bust.
Also an 'odd ball' design is possibly going to be very hard to sell on, have you thought about that?

I don't fully agree about materials abroad not being as good and as for craftsmen, there are plenty of bodgers here in the UK, don't fool yourself for a second that they won't cut corners on parts of the build you will never see.

Lets have a look at some dimensions shall we, width of a T5 is 1904mm, width of Relay is 2024, width of Ducato is 2024 so NO the T5 is not bigger/wider then those vans so I can't see how you going to have more space inside one. So far we have not actually got a tape measure out inside all the vans we've looked at, it's obvious that there is a bit more space inside, we can see/feel that straight away when we step in.

I agree about the shower, I doubt that we would use it much either, still nice to have though, the walk in toilet part is what we would use most especially at night.

I agree that the cost of these motorhomes is a lot but we ain't got much choice really, don't want to do the option you are period, we wouldn't be happy with it in the long run, the finished product just don't look as good in our opinion.

I married an Alien.

Date: Monday, 12/Apr/10, 7.00 PM | Message # 22
Webmaster
Ok last run on this and im quiting as quite frankly its getting boring .....

1st off the desin we have picked is neither ODD BAL nor unusual as you so kindly refer to it as AUTOSLEEPER - LESUIREDRIVE -DANDBURY -RAINBOW etc etc have all for years been building basically what i am ???? so where you get it will not sell i cant imagine apart from which it is being built to suit me therefore will not be getting sold PERIOD..........when i decide to change if i do my son wants it so thats ones solved and if not i am sure i will have nomissues in selling it as i didnt with my previous one give or take normal issues when selling any vehicle [thats a thing that you have to now endure i am afraid] so wrong im afraid cool

2nd off the content quaility and actual material HAVE BEEN PICKED BT ME so how and where my builder can cut corners i dont quite understand either as i have picked, listed and PAID for every part screw and washer ??? so wrong again i am afriad wacko apart from which absolutely EVER step of the way from strip down to completed build will be available when completed in image form to me tell me one of your choosen builders that would supply you all that NOT ONE OF YOUR MASS MARKET ones would thats who as they are undoubtedly the ones who cut the corners [ever looked behind your fancy woodwork, nope you wont have see thats where it all matters and i know for fact what is behind mine as i am watching it happen]

3rd not that i need a third you talk about size it the T5 and most T4's are not either suitable nor large enough for the mass market why have they been widely used by just about every main and bespoke maker worldwide since 1990...

All i will add is GOD HELP THE POOR SALESMAN who tries to sell you your next i seriously do pity him to fussy is a severe understantment imho your wife is well right and lets face it she will know you better than anyone...........sadly things are not produced as they used to be most of the big companies have admittedly been going fro quite sometime from the glory days when most things were manufactured here in the UK sadly not now the largest majority are built to a price and that means CUTBACKS whether on quality finished product or longeveity lets see how some of these so called greats you mention weather the current climate before you make a judgement based on romantic 1990's fact which just is not present today......

I know mine when completed will cause me NO grief at all, and how can i be so sure basically due to ever nut bolt washer mechanical part of body crevis having been attended to at build so basically i will be getting an almost brand new bus anyway which will easily keep up with if not outlast the modern *rap currently being built from supposedly good quailty products emmm

A small point we looked at a Hymer a short while ago during our 6 month research period for this build an import again built out of items or at least makers we had never heard off so come problem time things breaking down i wonder where the back up will be to repair or replace fridges etc simply like most things nowadays it will not be there leaving you stuffed one of the main reasons we have taken this route in the first place who wants to look the same as every other van in the site, who wants to be a part of a clan of drivers who dont give a damn about each other, not i T4 -T5 drivers tend to stick together, help each other and do shows together when was the last Hymer, Autosleepers or such club you found or meeting you attended you wont simply due there not being any....

So for all the above and way more besides the scene, the people, the models the mass cult following is priceless after all VW motorhomes have been about for 65+ yrs how long have the rest been ??? i rest my case ....

Date: Tuesday, 13/Apr/10, 7.05 PM | Message # 23
Webmaster
To *ell with costs have a look at your ideal van buddy Your Ideal Van biggrin cool

Date: Tuesday, 13/Apr/10, 7.12 PM | Message # 24
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
I like the video of the Vw future camper on that page cool

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Tuesday, 13/Apr/10, 7.21 PM | Message # 25
Webmaster
Yeah we have it in our vids i think but it will never be built sadly to expensive the solar model is lovely shame on VW they would sell like hot cakes .....as well

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Camping Club » Events » Windsor leisure show
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: