T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Would You Stop For Another T4 Onwer
Total of answers: 257

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T4 - Drain Holes ("Where does the rainwater drain through")
T4 - Drain Holes
Date: Tuesday, 12/Oct/10, 4.49 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Apart from all doors (cab, slide and tailgate) does anyone know if there are any more drain holes in the bodywork of a pre-1996 SWB T4? Where does the water around the sill of the front window drain too?

Cheers!

\

Date: Tuesday, 12/Oct/10, 6.59 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Down through your inner wings i think !!!! an easy way to find out is aim a hose onto the gutterline and see where it falls back out ........

I beleive there are also a few in your rear wings if you look up to the rear you should catch side of them in both rear wheel wells ....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 12/Oct/10, 8.10 PM | Message # 3
Private
Quote (Admin)
an easy way to find out is aim a hose onto the gutterline and see where it falls back out ..

That works well when there not blocked!

I have tried that anyway, think I have unblocked some them on the front wing. As some of them were partially blocked, including some of them on the doors, I want to make sure that I have got them all!

Will keep looking!

\

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 10.57 AM | Message # 4
Webmaster
The best way to unblock them is by extending a wire coat hanger and pushing it down the drain guide this will take any crud out of them quite effectively sadly like all things of this type they are not built for longevity or ease of operation thus making it hard to service when they do get blocked up no real definitive answer on this one buddy just keep at it, however i have yet to hear of one having any real issues caused by a blocked drain hole in the larger scheme of things the water will only find another route out as it always does .....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 1.24 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
I have a small related issue. The front footwell keeps filling with water on the drivers side. No corrosion as yet but I can't see where it is coming from so it will be carpet out time soon.
I'm sure there are drains along both inner sills if I remember right. One spot to check is the grommets in the front wheel arch. Handy to take these out when clearing the crud from under the air filter and battery to aid leaf matter removal. A handy point to squirt the waxoil also.
When my interior panels were out I also waxoiled the extreme edges of the floor as this is the area for condensation to accumulate if you sleep in the van. This is the area of the inner sill where the drainholes are.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 5.39 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Water ingress in that sort of area are for one of two reasons best i know first knackered window seal >>.. unlikely as it would possibly be a lot worse second and most likely blocked drain hole on that side down under the front cowl, directly under the windscreen buddy check it our Ducatos and my last vehicle were badly prone to it ....

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 6.24 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
I'll check it out tomorrow mate ta. Only just started coming in a month ago so sounds plausible.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 10.41 PM | Message # 8
Private
I have just replaced the drivers side door on my t4 camper, the bottom section around the drain holes was completely rotten (which were also blocked).

Unfortunately I reckon the van has stood around a lot in its history, it quite obvious that drain holes have been blocked at some point which has caused some of the rust which has now spread (although generally not to serious).

Always a problem with low mileage campers 20 years old, they are not driven enough and the water is allowed to settle!

\

Date: Wednesday, 13/Oct/10, 10.53 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Airflow is good. Motorway stuff generally wears out before it rots. Plus the drain holes being clear helps. biggrin

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Thursday, 14/Oct/10, 1.26 PM | Message # 10
Webmaster
Indeed alaways a worry when i was seeking a motorhome as i was when it was in excess of 15 yrs old had only done say 40k so where was it during its non use time ??? probably like most sitting in a driveway slowly rotting away mileage is a worry wityh such vehicles i would far rather have a far higher mileage example as a standing vehicle is not usually a good vehicle so mine was sourced and built for me to avoid this and other issues caused by lack of use........

A wee tip as we have a car and use the van infrequently and suffer similar issues - splash out and buy a T4 cover from JK great all weather covers for about £100 i have and it saves all these issues for good with a good airflow and access to doors etc easily to get in to start her occasionally i also run a small solar panel out of it to the front to keep my maion battery well chartged ensuring it always starts - and move it up and down the driveway every week or so to stop the brakes seizing up on me, then at least once ever two weeks it is taken for a min 20 mile trip for our shopping thus keeping it in good running order

Date: Thursday, 14/Oct/10, 9.42 PM | Message # 11
Private
Have been thinking of getting a cover just not sure whether I can get one for a high-top autosleeper?

I take the camper out at least once a week to keep it running - sometimes twice, mostly on day trips with the missus and baby. Also take it to work every now and then.

Making sure I polish/wax it every few months too - not like me at all!

\

Date: Friday, 15/Oct/10, 10.05 AM | Message # 12
Webmaster
I doubt you will get a JK cover to cover it all but a company called Pro tec Covers will make one to any size or shape buddy where im going next when i get my next as it will be a high top also ..... it has the added bonus of making your vehicle invisible to Google earth so the theifs cant see where it is !!!!! and harder to steal anyway ..... A bit more expensive than Jk's one but i wonder if my Jk would still work just not cover as much the only worry there i suppose would be the rain running down the cover and hitting the lower 1/5 of the van the most prone part to rust.........

Wax dont go there or i know a man who will start biggrin cool biggrin [it's all sniny now btw]

Date: Saturday, 16/Oct/10, 6.05 PM | Message # 13
Private
Cheers, will have a look and see how much it costs ...

\

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T4 - Drain Holes ("Where does the rainwater drain through")
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: