T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Do You Wave At Other T4 - T5 Owners
Total of answers: 358

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T4 - Barn door or Tail gate, whats more secure and better!?
T4 - Barn door or Tail gate, whats more secure and better!?
Date: Friday, 12/Nov/10, 9.27 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
OK.... Am i being really picky?

I am looking for T4 with a Tail gate as I think they are more secure than the barn doors.. Am i Barking or not?

A pro and con of both from experienced users would be handy!

Thanks
Tom wacko

\

Date: Friday, 12/Nov/10, 9.56 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi Tom. I have both so reckon I can answer that one. Tailgate is great for standing under but a pain when someone parks too close or you back it up to the garage and cant open the garage and tailgate at the same time.
Barn doors are more practical but a pain when it's raining and you need to cook at the back of the van.
As for security... You can get window grilles for both but security locks mainly for barn doors.
Fed up of having to move the Caravelle a couple of feet, I prefer the barn doors every time. They are interchangeable though.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Friday, 12/Nov/10, 10.54 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
yep I can agree i have the tailgat e but chas being greedy & all that has both tongue

Tailgate, quick & easy open up & you have one ready made shelter also it looks cool, cooler than twin doors.

Twin door practicaity the best as if you have some sensative equipment inside you only need to open half the door plus is eaisier in a car park. now here the tricky bit if you wanted say extra space to cook outside the van then with the twin door's all you need is a roof & sorted you have an instant shelter but with the tailgate you have the roof but no sides.

so:

its a choice between practicality, coolness or availability.

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Saturday, 13/Nov/10, 6.21 PM | Message # 4
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Ditto ditto having previously has both i agree with all said personally i would go for barn doors its really easy to rig up a simple shelter for over your head with a tarp and a few clips where as with the tailgate not so no side shelter so handy for all sorts of things..

Point to note barn doors not as desirable come time to sell where as urban myth dictates a tailgated version is the version to go for only if you want it often attracting a daft premium on an identically aged mileage barn door type version, at least this was my findings when seeking my last which was a barn door when purchased and was later changed to a tailgated version so i can testify its easily done.........

But just to be differenet i have NO back door this time surprised biggrin cool none at all well excludung a toilet access that is !!! the way to go no backdoor then you dont need to choose have a toilet and shower instead like me surprised biggrin cool

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 13/Nov/10, 7.27 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
Agreed, I have tailgate and parked too close to my house, first time I lifted tailgate it sprang up and nearly took my living room window out, on its own a fairly heavy unit. barn doors would suit my business better.

Dont forget otherwise you wont remember

Date: Sunday, 14/Nov/10, 7.58 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
biggrin Greedy Chas indeed biggrin
All for the good of the community chaps. If I had the space for more I'd like to buy an LWB 2.4 standard van and keep it totally concours. Then a lhd Multivan would be all I need to feel complete.

Watch that living room window Mr. Wireman. biggrin

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Sunday, 21/Nov/10, 1.11 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
I have fitted an additional lock to my rear barn doors so that my storage area is more secure for the carriage of my mountain bike. It cost me £100 which is a price worth paying. However if i had a tailgate i would need to have two fitted so from my point of view im glad i got a barn door model.
As for the protection from the elements when working or in my case bbq cooking at the rear of the van i have a small piece of tarpaulin that i drape across the back doors and secure with magnets, quick and easy !

Pablo

z

Date: Sunday, 21/Nov/10, 11.25 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Quote (pablo1977)
I have fitted an additional lock to my rear barn doors so that my storage area is more secure for the carriage of my mountain bike. It cost me £100 which is a price worth paying. However if i had a tailgate i would need to have two fitted so from my point of view im glad i got a barn door model.

ehm i beg to differ that pablo a single security lock placed at the bottom of the tailgate a snear to the centre as possible should be enough to stop any theif wink provided fitted correctly be rust free.

pls feel free to correct me biggrin

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Message edited by RS_ROB - Sunday, 21/Nov/10, 11.26 PM

Date: Monday, 22/Nov/10, 6.07 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
I also beg to differ MR CHAS's ehmmmmm rear door security lock on his 1.9td is a bit dubous i regularily take it off at meets starting to become the thing now aint it sir :'( surprised

Better still my last one had to great effect essentially double glazing door locks fitted to ALL doors that deadlocked then to the respective pillars [the only one not done was the slider ??/ still never really got an answer as to why] cheap, easy and secure will work ON ALL DOORS ALSO with ONE KEY ..........

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 23/Nov/10, 12.08 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant colonel
The locksmith told me that you have to have 2 on the tailgate type on n/s and o/s. I have the discreet double glazing type that Dougie mentions. The inside of the doors have been reinforced too, cant be too careful !!!

Pablo

z

Date: Tuesday, 23/Nov/10, 1.16 PM | Message # 11
Webmaster
Yip indeed surely they dont cost that much to have fitted as the lock is not that expensive ??? Don't think mine cost all that much as it goes, you can also get slamlocks that deadlock when door is shut but you cant fit them to all doors as they only open from inside ?? not great on a camper what you need to do is strike a happy medium where its harder to get in but not to the point they simply pan a window

Common sense dictates that all valuables are well out of sight obviously sadly with mine being a motorhome i have extra worries in that department to the extent that whilst we have a manufacturers fitted safe under one of my seats i far preffered my original idea of it opening into the footwell and not the rear that way you had to get the door opened before you could get the safe opened, and with deadlocks of any description that is a kind of hard task, so even if your window is panned they still wouldnt get the safe opened as the door is larger than the doors aperture between it and the door where as rear facing safes can be seen through the side window and opened far easier, my last van had the later design with the deadlocks making it as safe as possible in most circumstances that a car thief may operate.

The secret is to be safe but not paranoid to the point that you are always worried about leaving it or it will just ruin your enjoyment a much better bet is to have clealry visible locks thus they will in most cases simply move on to the next not so well secured one in the row..... a phylosiphy that has always worked for me anyway....

[A wee tip if its double glazing door locks keep the fronts of said locks smeared with a little grease or vasaline why? simple to stop them tarnishing [another T4 Club Top Tip]]

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T4 - Barn door or Tail gate, whats more secure and better!?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: