Newest User

Members Rides

T5 -T5 Club Forums

Camping Club Forums 

T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

If Money Was No Object What Would You Own?
Total of answers: 103

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » bodywork painting repair (toutch up paint work around the wheel arches and and sills!!)
bodywork painting repair
Date: Wednesday, 22/Dec/10, 11.14 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Members
Good evening gentlemen,
I'm afraid it's me again read all posts on wheel arch problems and then the use of covers to hide any imperfections (and why not) i was just thinking my camper is of course white well more of a cream than a sharp white. I can remember many years ago probably during the last ice age!! cleaning up and painting an old Transit( by hand with a very cheap brush and lots of thinners) and though I say so myself did get very good results. does anyone know were to buy auto paint in tins for this type of application I would love to try that again, Oh by the way I was in Machine mart today they have a new product on sale aprox, 1litre bottle for aprox £4.00 according to the instructions you simply appy this product to the effected area and it is suposed to stabilise the rust and provide a perfect base to paint on I know I've seen pigs flying an all!! I will give it a go and post the results.
Thanks in advance for any advice .
PhilSheriton biggrin

\

Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 6.55 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant colonel
if its the stuff I am thinking of, kurerust or similar, works by chemical reaction, and stabilises the rust, however, rust is cancer of the auto, so best way is to take back to shiny metal. cut it, grind it, sand it, just get rid, then dont touch it with fingers, as grease is deposited, wipe with white spirit or grease remover, dont be tempted to use water/was up liquid. cover as soon as possible.
I would choose a self-etching primer followed by surface primer. The self-etching primers use an acid based catalyst which actually bite into the metal neutralizing any microscopic (invisible) corrosion in the process.
remember that primer is porous so get an acrylic or cellulose coat on as soon as possible just to seal it. if its a shiny finish then you should at least see any imperfections.

Dont forget otherwise you wont remember

Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 7.07 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant colonel
was a build on here i was reading about, cant seem to find article, but it was orange, and he hand painted, sounded good what he was doing, investigated the paint he used, got a mixed reaction from others who used it, but its not really suitable for auto, again cannot remember where i read this, but it put me off, I resprayed one side of my van, with quite a good result for my first time.
check my build wiremans t4 build, because van was non runner could only do one side, but I did get some paint on, just to get me to next spring.

Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 7.55 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant
Thanks for that wireman ,
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength here mw concern is establishing the correct white I have the sticker from the inside pillar the colour code looks like
R902 0000 0000 VA does that make any sence to anybody and where is a good place to buy this paint? not the little car accessory shops and Halfords are worse than useless
Advice please gents Phil Sheriton smile

\

Date: Friday, 24/Dec/10, 11.45 AM | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
lucky here, I have shop called colour match, they deal in auto colours, dont know if they will post paint, but you can ask.
01295 256873 in banbury, oxon.
the sticker is under bonnet up by the windscreen if i recall. my paint code was LL5M if that helps.

also the hand paint used in an earlier build was called rustoleum, so google that and read for yourself, but read what others have said about it in forums.

Date: Friday, 24/Dec/10, 3.32 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Phil your paint code is Lr902 VW grey/white a very commonly used coulor

Halfrauds paint match system i beleive in every store now can and will mix it for you on the spot its thesame grey/white used for almost the whole run of T4's my 2000 was the same colour as was my 99 and now my 95 [phew] great colour to match mind [worry not if you happen to watch them mixing it it has yellow/red and grey in it also to acheive this colour] and most paint stockists have it in touch up & spray can ...... versions

If you wish to try to restore it back to original the bset way is to rub as Wireman says right abck to bare metal and apply a few liberal coats of a proprietrary curer likes of Kurust or Rusteleun to th eentire area which will chemically change the rusted area back to solid metal having done this apply by spray can to all sills and the inner lip only of the wheel arches white body shultz followed by several layers of LR902 grey/white paint from wherever you choose to obtain it from - bset to use panel wipe/s between coats to clean and wear latex gloves as every little mark can and will be seen ..... the original finish on teh sills is body shultz painted over anyway so it will be fine ...

Preperation - Preperation - and more preperation is the key however unless you have a well heated and ventelated garage to work in i wouldn't be attempting any of this untill at least April when temp rise enough as all that will happen is that it will not dry and bloom when it does as you will trap a layer of moisture under all coats making it rust even worse than it was only from the inside out

Ps the chrome arches look great on a white one, i had them on my 2000 ser White Noise .....

Look in the Bodywork section paint info is there i beleive ....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » bodywork painting repair (toutch up paint work around the wheel arches and and sills!!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: