T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Rate our site
Total of answers: 97

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Sound proofing (looking to quiet down adiesel)
Sound proofing
Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 0.27 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Members
Gentlemen,
Can anyone advise i'm looking to quiet down the sound from my van,
its a 2.4 1995diesel non turbo what i'm thinking about is ataching to the underside of the bonnet and were possible the the bulk head area and general engine bay sound deadening material possibly ex scrap yard from old bonnets etc, the problem is how to fix it saw some
guy fitting carpets recently he used a high impact adhesive from an aerosol would that do or have any of you done this type of thing before advice please. as to what materials best to use
cheers Phil Sheriton smile

\

Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 4.44 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Phil

Word from the wise i doubt if your idea of spray glue fixing such a material would work particularily in the engine bay over any sort of prolonged period if it were me i would do either

A - Obtain said soundedening materials from said scrap cars/vans and attach it in one of the following ways either by self tapper and washer or by original soundeadening clips from a walk around a scrapyard or possibly E-bay.

B - Use Flashband which is what we use in the rear to stop the panels drumming when building campers it is available from B&Q etc on rolls from the roofing isles and is used mostly for this and roofing applications self sticking and it will do the job well easily cut to size shape and applied.

Spray glues are fine for internal carpets that do not weigh very much but dampness weight and weather all have toi be considered in your application dont quite understand why you need to do it though as VW soundeadening is not ther worst ?/ does it not have any underbonnet soundeadening already fitted ? it should be on the underside of the bonnet and about half way down both inner wings ....

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Thursday, 23/Dec/10, 8.12 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
Group: Members
Thanks for that,
The idea of using flashingtape sounds good, but I'll start witha visit to my local scrap yard first (the've usually got plenty of bonnets lying around ) adapting this material to suit a t4 shouldn't be a problem? come to think of it has anyone got a newer version of say a t5 have they got sound proofing under the bonnet.
food for thought thans again PhilSheriton happy

\

Date: Saturday, 25/Dec/10, 4.27 PM | Message # 4
Webmaster
Group: Admin
I really think you will find it hard to attach soundproofing to the engine bay hense the use of flashband was suggested as thats what we use to insulate, stop drumming in panels and soundproof remember though not to go below about halfway down your inner wings as it will just get soaking and rot out the inner wings ......

What is it that is not currently soundproofed ???
If its under your bonnet it will not make a great difference to the overall noise it makes by doing this the 2.4 is a rather agricultural unit and thus sounds dare i say a bit tractor like when compared to say the 2.5tdi's so not to sure you will actually make any difference to it overall... if its to noisey in the cab when driving i found motorways a bind in my 1.9td and quite noisy now i come to think of it but thats more of a over revving issue dont know how the autos fair in this department though

Where as my petrol is as quite as a non deisel can be tongue

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Sunday, 02/Jan/11, 10.50 AM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi Phil. Do you have fitted all the right sound deadening parts already? There is, aside from the sound deadening fitted to the top of the lower tray, also a plastic sump guard and lower gearbox cover.
The spray glues are adversely affected by heat, as I found out inside mine during a hot summer. Most of the sound deadening within the engine bay and on the inside of the bulkhead is affixed by fastenings attached to 6mm threads poking out randomly. 6mm nuts and penny washers would be your best bet to affix heavy material there.

Chas! [Social Convener]

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Sound proofing (looking to quiet down adiesel)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: