T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

What is the best model of T4
Total of answers: 242

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Pop tops (Insulation properties for using in UK?)
Pop tops
Date: Tuesday, 26/Apr/11, 12.57 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Hey all

planning a build in a few months and defo keen on the pop tops.. coming back from 5 yrs of blue sky camping in oz i know i am in for a shock..

would love to know has anyone seen a more insulated pop top than remo or sca ? i am planning a good yr euro trip and starting to realise that all the heating in the world is basically useless with a think fabric roof... was looking at a t5 auto sleeper the other day and found that it apears to have a very differnent pop top looked much more substantial... does anyone know anything about what i have seen ..think it was a tropper ..

thanks again all

e

Date: Tuesday, 26/Apr/11, 1.32 PM | Message # 2
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Yeah it was an Autosleeper www.autosleeper.co.uk the manufacturer of my babay they are a pop top but not in the conventional way it pops up an its sides pop out the only problem with them is price and NO other manufacturer makes such a rroff other than Autosleeper it is ione of teh many reasons i opted for mine [although mine is a high top] Autosleepers generally hold their value well take mine a 1995 Trophy model woth in insurance terms in excess of 12k and to sell about £10k all day long a 60+ year old company here in teh UK making vans that last unlike many today........

For a normal pop top on a T5 you can get a addition called a mutze top i think its called its basically just a thermal top that goes over it made from the same material as the silvver thermal window screens that supposedly keeps the heat in, i know one guy who swears by his and often uses his van in winter as a consequence but you hit the nail on teh head this is why when i last year had a self designed pop top built after only using it twice once in August and once in September i sold it as i had blue Propex [the hotest version] in ours all brand new stuff and i couldnt keep it warm, we had to keep the bed boaards in place to keep any warmth in her which kind of defeated the point of having a pop top and mine was double and treble insulated in places with the remit to kep it as hot as possible. [i shall attempt to source info on cap and get back to you on it]

The UK is NOT OZ my friend heat is not something we are used to be well aware of this

Attachments: 8034260.jpg (4.3 Kb)

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 26/Apr/11, 2.04 PM | Message # 3
Webmaster
A list of insulating covers for pop tops dependant on model, what efficiency they have i do not know other than i know as i say above one guy who uses and swears by his:

This is the kind of thing available some fit inside the pop top in the same way as silver screens do on your windows some fit externally, all are available only for the T5 as far as i can see although i do have access to details of a guy who will make one out of silver screen material for a T4 is requirede to they all range in price from about £175 - £50ish delivered

Hope this helps a bit at least in your query

Attachments: 1190148.jpg (4.6 Kb)

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Thursday, 28/Apr/11, 11.57 AM | Message # 4
Private
thanks again for your valuable help... i am glad i am looking at this now think in underestimated the insulation thing been far to hot to to long.. i am still real keen on the self build but i really like those auto sleepers and as we are planning to keep this indefinately it might be i look at one of those lthough dont think the wife is going to like the prices...

thanks for the info on resale.. it makes sense with all my searching i have never heard anything other than rave revues about ato sleepers i gues you get what you pay for..

kind regards until next time

ian

Date: Thursday, 28/Apr/11, 2.01 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Indeed you do, [shame the company that makes them is not so amminable to older model owners happy to sell you a new one but not help you with details info or assistance on the older ones] .... If i was going to buy a new AS now or a newer one now i would go for the TOPAZ hightop far better insulation properties, eaqual performance and interior only in lwb form they have the same full toilet/shower unit only a newer design than our current one...... not positive you would get a pop top on a lWB though buddy and r/r beds waste space as far as im concerned hence we wanted up front beds to maximise rear space for cooking etc so it can be used 24hrs with bed up or down.

[Ps if you buy one i am currently working on two other projects one is an VW Autosleeper Community and the other a Scottish VW camping community so keep an eye out for them popping up shortly]

Date: Friday, 29/Apr/11, 5.29 AM | Message # 6
Private
will do thanks again

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Pop tops (Insulation properties for using in UK?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: