Total of answers: 257

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » converting barn doors
converting barn doors
Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 4.20 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Hi , just joined so i'm sorry if i've posted in the wrong section or anything but does anyone know if it is possible to replace barn doors with a hatchback type 1 piece door please and if so is it a difficult job to do ?

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 4.21 PM | Message # 2
Private
sorry i meant to say i have a swb 2000 panel van

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 7.35 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
hi Con, and welcome aboard smile yes its possible to convert barns to tailgate, not that hard m8 drill 4 holes for the hinges the holes on the inside of you bus should be there, and then 4 for the gas struts mountings, then swap the bottom catch over on the aperture, you will need one of around the same year as they are slightly different to the older ones, hope this helps

northernclassicsandcampers.co.uk?

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 7.53 PM | Message # 4
Private
cheers ray , are barn doors more popular than 1 piece up and over or is it the other way around ? i'd like to convert my panel van to a day van/camper and was just wondering if i might be able to find someone to do a swap with .

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 8.41 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
more barn door models about m8, you might be lucky m8, i might know where there is one ill find out for ya, were abouts are you

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 9.34 PM | Message # 6
Private
cheers ray that would be great, i live in s.wales . i can travel but i'm just waiting to have a new timing belt kit put on. i've got a weird knocking sound on the n/s of the engine, sounds like the tensioner or guide's are shot , couldn't beleive the price vw wanted for labour to put timing kit on - 350 squid + around 150 for parts

Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 10.16 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant general
is it a 2.4 or 2.5 by any chance, as they are a right pain, hence the price, if ya do get them done i would go for genuine ones and fit a water pump at the same time

Date: Sunday, 19/Apr/09, 1.06 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi Con, just a quick welcome from me too mate.

Chas.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Monday, 20/Apr/09, 1.38 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Con
Hi and welcome to our humble home as Ray says it is possible to convert to a tailgate with a bit of drilling as [he says makes it sound so easy surprised ]
I second what he says about your water pump with a timig belt imperative its done on these buses surprised

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 24/Apr/09, 11.05 PM | Message # 10
Private
Thanks chas and webmaster for the welcome . yes i have the 2.5 tdi , with a blue i ? how many bhp is that ? after having a good shop around i managed to get the quote down to 200 nicker all in for the timing belt , the guy is going to use a gates kit. he came well recommended by a m8 of mine and seems to know his stuff . i'll get him to put a pump in the same time. seems to be quite a bit of inconsistant rattling coming from the cam belt area so i'm wondering if the crank pulley vibration damper has given up ? gotta wait till thurs to find out but i'll let you all know how i get on . i've been looking everywhere for a single piece tailgate so if anyone comes across one for sale could they please let me know wink

Date: Friday, 24/Apr/09, 11.57 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant general
hope it not the pulley there £250 or there abouts, you might fit its the water pump or tensioner fingers crossed, gates belts are ok, but you find one from vw is about the same price

Date: Friday, 24/Apr/09, 11.58 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant general
oh for got ill see me m8 Sunday he might have a tailgate

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 8.31 AM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Hiya Con, think your blue I is an 88bhp van...... Not sure of my bhp on the 1.9 though, anybody know the figures for an ABL?

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 10.24 AM | Message # 14
Private
thanks ray , if he's got one i'll drive to scotland for it if needs be . can't find one anywhere now its summer .

thanks squeak , i thought it might be the lower power model sad . is there any difference between the enigine in 2.5 102 p.s + 2.5 88 ? can you mod the 88 bhp up to the 102 and is it a safe mod ? jus wonderd if it was just an ecu chip or if maybe the original 102 bhp had a larger turbo or anything ?

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 12.24 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Far as I'm aware Con, there's an intercooler on the silver I model which is not on the 88. Sure Ray would know if there are any other differences such as ecu. Dont think they are quite as simple as a common rail diesel to extract extra horses though.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 4.01 PM | Message # 16
Webmaster
Con
Ray is your man but legend has it the ex AA vans are 114bhp upgraded from 102's i think something like that mine is a 88 and more than sufficient for all the driving i do, mostly gear work on country roads as it goes and sometime son motorways and its plenty powerful the problem is if you start trying to get more power you put strain on other standard parts its a van man not a Ferrari and apart from all that the fuel consumption will suffer without a doubt mine is a fully coinverted 2 berth camper lowered wide alloys etc and a big roof box and it still returns 35-40mpg no probs and i'm no pussy behiond the wheel mate.

If it were me [i would unless you know what your doing and by sounds of things you don't as in if you did you wouldnt have to ask] therefore,if i were you i wouldnt bother, its an expensive addition for a tad more speed and far less fuel consumption.

Stick to making it look good and do your tailgate conversion and be sure to keep an image and written log to show us all how its done once you have completed it biggrin

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 8.43 PM | Message # 17
Lieutenant general
there is a few ways of getting more power, but it will make more unreliable, and a bit pointless as it will only do what the gearbox will let it do, there is a upgrade for the gear box 2 some golf gearboxes have a better ratio 5th gear that will fit in the T4 box but not sure what the codes are

Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 10.07 PM | Message # 18
Private
thanks ray and thanks dougie. i was just curious . i'm new to vdub's and if i don't ask then i'm never gonna know . i'm getting a good 40 - 45 round town so i cant complain. i've always been a bit of a rev head + i've alway's had a thing had a thing for subaru's but as i've started getting older and skinter then i think there's a sensible side coming out of me hence the t4 . i love camping and i can pimp it up a bit so it was a happy medium lol

Date: Sunday, 26/Apr/09, 8.38 AM | Message # 19
Lieutenant general
i know what ya mean con, mine is a straight 1.9 at the mo, but fitting a 1.9TD again but just to help out on the hills, don't need to go fast any more with the kids,

Date: Sunday, 26/Apr/09, 11.33 AM | Message # 20
Webmaster
Likewise just so happened mine was a 2.5tdi tongue

Another thing Con you should be wary of is dropping it's suspension to far, yeah it looks great but there are penalties, see Steering and Suspension threads for more info as topic started by myself on my bus also a major consideration is wheels and tyres again good advice has been covered in the relevant sections

Date: Sunday, 26/Apr/09, 1.37 PM | Message # 21
Private
ok , funny you should say that as the last car i had was lowerd with 18" x 8.5" and it was a nightmare, rubbing the arches and slowing down to 3 mph for speed bumps . i agree it looks the bolloks but for everyday practibility you have to find a balance with suspension and wheels . just the cost of tyres have put me off 18's for life lol .when i've kitted it out with everything i need in there i'll have a good read up to see waht wheel sizes your running etc.

Date: Monday, 27/Apr/09, 1.23 PM | Message # 22
Webmaster
Sadly i'm on 18"'s that why i was making the point its not the best move, they were on it when i got it not my choice and lowered 40mm to boot which i have now found out is defo no good on country lanes, speed bumps and general pot holes which is generally where a camper is used surprised surprised

If i was to do it all again i would probably opt for a refurbed set of standard 15 or 16's standard tyres and standard ride heights and if a T5 exactly as it comes would do fine.

I can't shout loud enough about this mine has been checked, checked and checked again, diff wheels etc put on it and it still rides the same the dogs on motorway and for fast cornering countryside wise but for all else for get it, fit all that at great expense my opinion is forget it it spend it on the interior that you will use and it will not braek your bank balance either nor your back come to think on it surprised

The dif at T4 -T5 Club UK is we are very much a group who tell it like it is, we don't on the whole try to outdo each other by fitting the most expensive c++p just coz we can, only to try to be one better than each other, we post via personal experience the way it should be, sharing our experiences good and bad for the better good of us all, hoping our comments have helped, to think on what you are doing thus aiding you to produce your ideal bus, it matters not a jot what one style or size you end up with here, as all are equal and welcome we only hope that by sharing what goes wrong we will be able to stop others from making costly mistakes, a camper after all has to be able to go into a field and not get stuck, if it's ass is trailing the ground and it is laden with camping goodies it is going to become so fast lodged it will need towed out which is little or no good to anyone.

It's all a bit like the Chealsea Tractor brigade who think they look so good, and tehy probably do, but have never been off road in theri lifes, certain sectors of the T4 - T5 brigade will immediately and before all else quote tell you "to hit it with the lowering stick" which like the Chealsea Tractors is fine if you are intending using your T4 -T5 ONLY around mainstraem towns or cities or motorway networks all day long then you wouldn't have an issue, really all would be fine.you would just have to camp out overnight in a motorway service station or multi story carpark surrounded by beautiful inner city highlights and miss the wonderful countryside a few miles farther up the road as you wouldnt be able to get to it !!!

Yet these people seem to foget most customised or modded T4 and T5 Transporters are made into some form of camper or other whether fully fitted or part converted makes no real odds, what does is they have to be able to use campsites, drive into small rutted lanes etc without both bottoming out and becoming stuck .

The best advice and it's Free is without a doubt both here and as above on this subject, hope it helps anyway .

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » converting barn doors
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: