T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Do You Wave At Other T4 - T5 Owners
Total of answers: 358

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Pop Tops (Roofbars)
Pop Tops
Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 4.50 PM | Message # 1
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Hi Gang

As many will know my bus "Ice Queen" will shortly be getting fitted with a pop top a copy Remio one low line in fitting and quite smart as it goes, no problems there then....

However as i always on my previous one had roofbars and a roofbox my question is this, the storage space lost from the removal of this would mean several things not being taken, nothing particularily heavy, awnings, seats, windbreaks and such like bulky items which are hard to find space for inside....

So what i would like id to somehow attach my roofbox to my pop top:

Is it possible, how?
Why would i not want to?
Where can i obtain a decent looking rear door ladder so as to be able to access the roof?

I will later be fitting some sort of solar cell to its roof also so would be graeteful for any helpful hints tips, links etc to suppliers, those who have done it etc etc

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 5.33 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Members
Hi Dougie, you could get some roof bars to attach it to, then just drill and bolt them on, just seal it before you fasten it down and make sure you use some spreader plates on the under side of it

northernclassicsandcampers.co.uk?

Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 1.14 PM | Message # 3
Webmaster
So by bonding them on it would work fine i take it ....

So surely that being the case would it not be best to simlpy bond the roofbox on to it ???

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 5.44 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
i said bolt them on with a spreader plate underneath, just make sure you seal them before they are fastened, to bond them on you would have to score both the roof and the box make sure both surfaces were clean but then its on permanent, what if you come to sell it, it would have to stay on, wont be to everyone's taste

Message edited by ray356 - Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 5.50 PM

Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 7.24 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Was looking at a new ladder for the rear of a T4 on the bay about six weeks ago. It went for sixteen quid. A steal. They do come up on there from time to time and if you see one down this way I would be happy to collect it for you.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Sunday, 10/Jan/10, 11.13 AM | Message # 6
Colonel
Ever considered a "wee" trailer Dougie surprised
Half a T4 perhaps wink

Would look cool towing the front half backwards biggrin biggrin

THE WHEELS ON THE BUS GO ROUND AND ROUND

Date: Sunday, 10/Jan/10, 6.42 PM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Dave trailers are out mate, i would be as well with a caravan which defeats the purpose.
This is why we ended up with a pop top in the first place for extra sleeping space where believe me an caravan would of solved all my issues in one, if you are going to tow the size is honestly immaterial it's all the same sort of hassle i have over the years trailled caravans, horseboxes, trailler tents and trailers of all sorts, sizes etc and do not wish to ever again...
Hence i own and drive a self contained campervan cool

Ray - As for the bonding or not of my roofbox, i hadn't thought of that it would be stuck there for good, good call, i shall now look into lowline roofbars, known and understood re spreaders etc

Date: Sunday, 10/Jan/10, 8.19 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant general
if you bolt the bars on to the roof there is only a small foot print, and a nut or a bolt holding it on, and could rip it off, if you have a plate on the under side of the roof (like a big washer) it will have less chance of stressing fatiguing the roof and less chance of it ripping off, if that makes sense

Date: Monday, 11/Jan/10, 12.06 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
It does indeed all understood...
[don't know what i'm worrying about any adaptions would be getting done in house where she is currently being built anyway, it's just i like to know what is going on, what i'm doing and what i expect to have to fork out for whatever keeping me hand on sort of thing]

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Pop Tops (Roofbars)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: