T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

What is the best model of T4
Total of answers: 242

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Rear doors?? (Changing rear door.)
Rear doors??
Date: Friday, 05/Mar/10, 5.13 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
Hello all, just joined the site. I'm looking at buying my first T4. Is it possible to change the rear 'hatchback' style door for the barn doors? Would it be particularly dificult or expensive?

x

Date: Friday, 05/Mar/10, 5.54 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Hi Fitz and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search for a T4, there is plenty of info on here for buyers but mostly depends on your taste. There is a post from Ray somewhere covering the changing of the rear doors. It can be done fairly simply as the van bodies are all the same. Doors can be had for about fifty quid each on ebay and a tailgate would fetch more to cover the cost. Have a scout round the site as the info in detail is there mate.

Cheers. smile

Forum/T4/T4 technical posts/bodywork

follow the menu.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Message edited by listensqueak - Friday, 05/Mar/10, 5.58 PM

Date: Friday, 05/Mar/10, 6.31 PM | Message # 3
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Em strange one most want a Tailgate cool

Dare i ask why you want barn doors bud ??/ mine is currently being changed the other way around from barns to tailgate [the original sare knacked or you could of had em bud]its according to my builder a 2 hr job one fits the other worry not....

Oh and welcome tongue

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 05/Mar/10, 8.31 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
For practical reasons for a camper the tailgate is probably better but for sheer good looks you can't beat the barn doors. My opinion only though. Always thought a tailgate on a van was a bit Japanese......

Dougie, were you not singing the praises of barn doors not long ago?

Chas! [Social Convener]

Message edited by listensqueak - Friday, 05/Mar/10, 8.33 PM

Date: Tuesday, 09/Mar/10, 3.19 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Yip i sure was mine came with...

Really as you know wanted a lwb hi-top which is where the barndoors would of been my only real alterantive as with a tailgate i would of lost the versitility of the high-top and the reason i wanted one to begin with...

However with my new Ice Queen build it came with barn doors which have now i beleive been removed for several reasons maily as the offised one was badly twisted, and the right needing repair, whilst Alan had a white tailgate already fitted with high security locks, making his job of fitting all locks to my vehicle far easier [both front and sliders are being replaced also for the same reason, i beleive] making it cheaper and quicker for me biggrin cool which i like the sound off....

I seriously have never heard of anyone wishing to swap the other way though i wish this member would come back to explain... surprised

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 09/Mar/10, 4.19 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
I personally wanted barn doors due to the practicatitys of them also people cant see whats inside every time you open up, but the one i got came with the tailgate & it looks better just needs a spoiler on top to make it look cool B)

I wouldnt change though I like the look i got going.

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Tuesday, 09/Mar/10, 5.59 PM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Rob one think for all to note since this is effectively a Tailgate V Rear doors thread would be i found with a tailgate mounted spolier it meant that a bike rack could NOT be fitted to the door which to many could be an issue, just thought it worth mentioning....

The reason i had wanted barn doors was obvious really as when opened they are the full height of the hightop meaning that when you stepped up into your kitchen you wouldn't need to bend down to get under a tailgate whilst also making far better use of the lwb space in the hightop to store stuff cool

You know they say tailgates are better why ???
The only reason i can honestly see is they may or may not shelter you from the rain, to me i wouldn't be out in th rain anyway, so that kind of ruins that chain of thought, besides the barn doors with a simply made cover much like the old splits had over the barn doors would do the same job only better sheltering you on 3 sides either way you have an opened door......

It's another of theses myths that apparently YOU must have to be part of the cool crew along with 2.5's, lowered suspension the list is growing...

Date: Tuesday, 09/Mar/10, 9.07 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Forget bending down for a tailgat you dont need to, this was my dilema when I started looking & when I found mine & opend the back I quite expected to have to duck but no. I can easlily stand underneath it with the Van at standard running height & im 5ft 11.
Ill get you guys a mesurement tommorrow from floor to tailgate when open.

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Tuesday, 09/Mar/10, 9.36 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
No problem for me as I'm a good three inches shorter than you Rob. I find though that I have to park half way down the drive if I want to open the tailgate while the garage door is open but then I have a wide tunnel in which to work. cool

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Wednesday, 10/Mar/10, 12.10 PM | Message # 10
Webmaster
My point was not that you cant stand under a tailgated model guys.....im 5"8" and had absolutely no problems with it lowered 50mm either...

It was that in hightop form it was a pointless excersise as you are loosing valuable and usable space by having a tailagte as it effectively blocks your direct walking path into your van and likewise access to the valauble excess space behind your top bunks where as in the pic below which was what i was seeking full access to storage and to be able to walk upright straigh into what would of been my kitchen without stooping down under a tailagte would of been and is ideal.....full height floor to ceiling barn doors in this case as standard height ones would of been just as bad as a tailgate....defeating the purpose of having a high top...

Easily at standing height acessible

This one you have to stoop down to get in defeating the purpose of having a high top, loosing you in excess of 2ft of height
Attachments: 9120527.jpg (10.2 Kb) · 9875669.jpg (21.4 Kb)

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » Rear doors?? (Changing rear door.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: