T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

What is the best model of T4
Total of answers: 242

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T5 Caravelle - Wind noise (whistle)
T5 Caravelle - Wind noise (whistle)
Date: Thursday, 18/Mar/10, 9.28 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Members
I've just bought a 07 plate silver 174bhp Caravelle in silver. It's got a rather odd history as it was owned by VW. It did 10k miles in 4 months, then roughly 500 miles in the next 2 and a half years! Very strange but it seems to be OK.

One odd thing is that there is a very high pitched whistle from somewhere around the drivers door. I've mentioned it to the dealer (Colbornes in Guildford) and they say they will have a look but that some vans do it and others don't. They don't really know why.

Now that sounds really iffy to me. Maybe I just don't trust dealers!

Does anyone else experience this whistle? It starts at about 65mph and continues until more general wind noise drowns it out (which is quite fast!).
I seems to do it even when the window is open so I'm guessing it could be the mirror?

Date: Thursday, 18/Mar/10, 9.36 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Check around the door seal. Make sure its seated properly. Also check around the up/down window. Make sure there isn't any gaps when it's closed. It could of been replaced and not put in properly causing the noise.

"Rally Bus" - Jim - Golf MK4 1.9TDI - Club Logo Designer

Date: Thursday, 18/Mar/10, 11.09 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
dont wanna rain on your parade but that whistle is a classic tell tale sign off bodywork repairs i.e new door fitted.

dont despair easily fixed

firstly ckeck both side of the van to make sure all the panel/door gaps are the same if they then good.
check both doors operate the same & feel the same to open & close.

now drive down the road with a mate till you hear the noise 7 then in turn feel around the door & even pull the door until you find it.

my gues is top of the door this is normally where it occures ( worked in accident repair for a while) if it is then the answere may scare you its called a technical adjustment cool

ok open the door put your foot on it just below the window on thebulky bit & your hands at the top of the door now tweak the top of the door towards you a bit 2 or 3 light pulls dont get to agressive & crack the paint or bend the door.

now close & try again.

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Friday, 19/Mar/10, 12.49 PM | Message # 4
Webmaster
Group: Admin
A bit like the scroats do to braek in but in reverse wacko

I would whole heartedly agree chap sounds likesome panel damage to either teh door, or one or other of the surrounding panels to me, but could be as simple as a rubber door trim, seal not being seated correctly.......although the 500mls bit would kind of suggest it had been lying unused for quite sometime Vw owning it and doing 10k in a short period i would hazard a guess at it was either a hard worked demo which i doubt or a lease/rental our local chain Arnold Clark i know keeps his till they are 12k and sells them on through 20-30 makes he now sells it is apparently cost effective as no repairs other than under warranty.....which means its done a large mileage then nothing i doubt very much i would of laid very long to sell if that was the case so why it only then had 500mls i cant answer other than if it was sold as a cat d and was awaiting repair possibly.....

A wee tip for you take your chassis and reg no and go to another Vw garage in your area, who should be able to tell you a full rundown on what has or hasnt been done whilst in Vw ownership and beyond, service, repair and re-call wise and a simpem £3 text check will tell you if its ever had accident damage if nothing else it will ease your mind.

Just don't do what did with my last one [T4] where a buyer fully checked it out and found out a lot i didnt know almost costing me my sale, DO NOT only use nor totally trust HPI etc as they also get it wrong......

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 19/Mar/10, 6.16 PM | Message # 5
Private
Colbornes adjusted the door. Said it was closing too easily, so tightened it up.
My wife reports that it seems to be silent now.
Result and well done to the dealer!

Date: Friday, 19/Mar/10, 7.50 PM | Message # 6
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Em i would still be doing as we suggest all sounds to easy if you ask me an 07 plate needing its doors re-aligned i would be asking why ???
Glad your happy and hope it will be an end to it...

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 19/Mar/10, 10.44 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Id check it for correct seal get someone to hose it down while you check for leaks.

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Monday, 03/Jan/11, 4.49 PM | Message # 8
Private
Hi,
I've also had problems with wind noise from the drivers door on our T5 Caravelle and have had it since new.
There's been no accident damage and the dealer has replaced the primery door seal which has made the problem worse.
It's going back in again as it drives me nuts.
Has anyone else has this problem from new as dealer first suggested that it was the door mirror paint! lol

Date: Monday, 03/Jan/11, 5.10 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Hi & welcome Id say youve pretty much answered your own question if the dealer has replaced the seal & the problem is worse then this is down to a porrly aligned door, may need pulling in a bit or tweaking as the technical term is known as.

Take it for a drive & get someone to sit by the affected door & feel & listen for the noise also push & pull on the door to see if it gets better or worse.

Rob. [Secretary]

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » T5 Caravelle - Wind noise (whistle)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: