T5 - T5 Shopping Mall

Advertise

Search

Polls

Would You Stop For Another T4 Onwer
Total of answers: 257

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » how much paint to spray vw t4 (as above)
how much paint to spray vw t4
Date: Friday, 04/Jun/10, 6.39 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Members
Hi all
im going to spray my t4 at the end of wext week and need a rough guide to how much paint to order.
iv put two new wings on and the slideing door is having a repare panel welded on as the bottom was all dented up.
i have the use ov a wind and draft free barn on the farm where i have my workshop, and all being well i will be at the stage to put some paint on thurs/fri next week.
i have all the spray equiptment i need as i do spraying in my workshop. I'll be using cellulose high build primer and then im going for harvest moon beige(the new beatle colour LB1M). so i need a rough idea how much paint to order.
thanks
malc

If it got tyres its going to cost you money

Date: Friday, 04/Jun/10, 10.51 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
5lts should do the trick for a T4 and if you are doing the roof too six should be enough. two pack is more economical if you can get it though. 2 1/2 lts would do it in 2 pack. this will go fine over celly hi build

Chas! [Social Convener]

Message edited by listensqueak - Friday, 04/Jun/10, 11.01 PM

Date: Saturday, 05/Jun/10, 12.45 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
i dont have the breathing equip for 2 pack, so going for celly, as iv used it quit a bit for doing panels of the van(bonnet, doors ect).Do you mean 5lts mixed or or not as 5lts of paint would make up 10lts of mixed paint I.ll do the roof in black i think as it wont show were iv missed when i wash it lol

Date: Saturday, 05/Jun/10, 3.55 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
I would say 5lts celly base would be enough for a few good coats, (10L mixed) If you're like me with celly I never get a decent shine from the gun so a good mopping is necessary unless the weather is on your side. biggrin

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Sunday, 06/Jun/10, 7.28 PM | Message # 5
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Ditto i would say likewise 10lts total if its celly but celly is outlawed now is it not?? or is that just in commerical terms it is, dont know what my builder paints with but he gets a great shine first time everytime and dont think its anything fantastic [i will ask prob phoning tomoz anyway for update] he sprays T4's quite a bit so will know the exact answers

[remember there is no such thing as a bad paintjob, its down to the level of expertise and prep not the paint you apply after all biggrin ]

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Monday, 07/Jun/10, 7.44 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant
bought all my paint today2.5l primer,5l gloss white,cups,strainers,mix sticks, tack cloths,ect.
now its raining sun all last week. dont know weather to spray this week?

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 11.37 AM | Message # 7
Webmaster
Quote (sticknberries)
bought all my paint today2.5l primer,5l gloss white,cups,strainers,mix sticks, tack cloths,ect.
now its raining sun all last week. dont know weather to spray this week?

I'm now confused buddy........I thought it was going to be Harvest Moon ??? now its staying White Gloss [imho the best colour anyway seeing as both mine have and currently are white] White is the new black buddy, why the change ???

BTW - My painter paints in a unit no special eqip, [only a blast heater when required] Summer - Winter - Spring and Autumn and all his work is superb, if you are reasonably ok at it you will be fine you dont want it to dry or humid anyway otherwise you will be t-cutting for ever to get any kind of shine, the disadvantage of celly i suposse surprised

Be sure to keep us informed of your progress and put up some pics of it as you go cool

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 2.45 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant
Harvest moon is £30 per litre from local panel shop. but 5 litres of white is £64 >LINK

I have used this product before and had great results. my van is n reg 1.9d so ill blow it over in white and use it for the summer. plan to get a 2.5T or 2.4 as i think i could use a bit more power. the van drives well for a nasp diesel but dies on its ass when you hit a hill. will take pics and put them up.
Malc

Message edited by Admin - Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 6.15 PM

Date: Tuesday, 08/Jun/10, 6.18 PM | Message # 9
Webmaster
I did wonder as i say White is the colour no doubting it biggrin cool biggrin ]roll on team white]

Doubt a 2.4 would suffice a 2.5tdi is what you want if you want power and tuneability my friend [the 2.4 is an agricultural engine see our engine guide in relative section for more details]

Date: Sunday, 25/Jul/10, 8.48 PM | Message # 10
Private
I.ll do the roof in black i think as it wont show were iv missed when i wash it lol

Hi there, we are just about to take ownership of a 1990 T4, she's a really faded red (which we intend to re-spray) with a white roof. Seeing your listing regarding spraying the roof, I wondered, does it make a difference to the heat in the van in the summer if the roof if anything but white?? I'd be interested to know, as I too would like to spray the roof, it'll make it look less like an icecream van..lol Thanks. Bb

Date: Sunday, 25/Jul/10, 9.05 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
I owned two identical vans Bigbird. One was white and one was midnight blue. All the back was just painted metal and although the blue van panels were much hotter in the sun, the inside temperature was quite similar in both. If you were to paint it black and insulate behind the headlining, it would make no difference anyway. Would go someway to quietening too. cool
Out in the tropics, all the military vehicles had white roofs to keep the occupants cool in the days before aircon, so there must be something in it.

As a little footnote. If your van is just faded, try a good mopping with farecla G3. Works a treat.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Message edited by listensqueak - Sunday, 25/Jul/10, 9.09 PM

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » how much paint to spray vw t4 (as above)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: