Advertise

Search

Polls

Do You Wave At Other T4 - T5 Owners
Total of answers: 358

[New messagesMembersForum rulesSearchRSS ]
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » The Worst T4 (i think iv the worst.........................)
The Worst T4
Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 7.19 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Members
hello guys and girls i think i have bought the worst t4 known to man i have so far rebuilt the engine iv just changed the ball joint track arms anti roll bar rubbers im still welding the inner and outer sills iv welded new wings on the front i need to change the front cross member change the bonnet sliding door and need both rear quaters the trouble is iv come to far to scrap the thing a bay or split would have been easier............ dont kno if i have the motavation to continue cry sad wacko angry oh and too top it off i went and bought a swb twin sliding door caravelle ohhhhhhhhhh somebody help me lol which doesnt have an mot wacko

It's more than just a van!!

Message edited by ac - Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 7.35 PM

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 8.32 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Moderators
Keep up the good work it may well be worth it after all this hard work you will cherish it more than anything else

if you need any advice just ask.......

Rob. [Secretary]
vwT4T5club@googlemail.com

T4 -------- X Pack -------- Blue Thunder AKA The Bat Mobile

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 8.42 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Just another day in the life of a T4 owner. I have been under mine today changing the metal water pipe, then the battery was flat cos I left the telly on for three weeks, then I realised the exhaust had fallen in half... (tomorrow's job) The Caravelle has a big oil leak but at least it has been sunny today (in between the showers) biggrin

Had to do all my suspension rubbers for the mot a couple of months ago, and the ball joints.... you are not alone....

Chas! [Social Convener]

Message edited by listensqueak - Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 8.43 PM

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 9.12 PM | Message # 4
Major general
yea thanks guys its just when you think you can book an mot you an earth some more metal worm i suppose itll never win any awards but it will be less scaby lol i just want too use it missed van fest

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 9.13 PM | Message # 5
Major general
ps any changed a whole rear quater panel???

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 9.15 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
No sorry.......

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 10.15 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant general
Quote (ac)
ps any changed a whole rear quater panel???

lot of work mate, how bad is it can you not just do the lower

northernclassicsandcampers.co.uk?

Date: Thursday, 16/Sep/10, 10.47 PM | Message # 8
Major general
hey ray looks like the drivers side has been accident damaged and the rear quater is FULL and i mean full of filler and it is higher than the lower part you can get i used to work in a car body shop so im not affraid to take it on although as mentioned before getting fed up with repairing lol

Andy

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 1.05 AM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
well if needed I can provide you with info of how vw would do it & if youve worked in a bodyshop then youll know the otherway of how to do it.

I only ever watched & fitted & stripped......

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 8.32 AM | Message # 10
Major general
hey rob my be an idea if theres any sneaky little spot welds hiding ing strange places always up for new info mate

cool cheers Andy

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 1.40 PM | Message # 11
Webmaster
Group: Admin
Andy ......

All i can say is your either very unlucky or its a majorily old T4 as i have looked at gazillions now in different stages of dedcompostion and NONE have been as bad as you are describing, yeah the windscreen pillars go and the bottoms of the doors but never have i heard of such widespread and varied issues on a T4 how strange!!! as its one of the main selling points over a Bay or a Splitty as you DONT have to weld, weld weld......... [btw you dont want a Bay or a Splitty as you well know they drive like **** and they are rust buckets to :o]

The motavation is simple buddy - Think what a nice T4 you will have at the end of it all if you are a bodyworker it should be easy for you to proceed why not start a Build Guide in teh relevant forum detailing your journey then when you feel down you can refer to it and cheer yourself up when you see how far you have come.......

They are not all rosey either buddy we have all had our issues one way or another Chas's have been all mechaical i have had my own woes to, and i think in one way or another we all have worries, issues and jobs to do on our rides, keep the faith it will all come good in the end if you know a lot about bodywork/work in that field you will be able to take comfort in the fact that a 1 yr old Merc car rusts and badly often, but not as badly as a 6 month old Vito surprised stay cool , stay building you know it makes sence wink

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 2.00 PM | Message # 12
Major general
yea fair comments it just im on a budget as im retraining to be a sparky so all work is being carried out on my parents drive bless them!!!!! and the repair panels im getting are non gen which mean they fit kinda rubbish. however i suppose at the end in the distant future it will hopefully be less rotten which is the other problem doing it outside the new panels i put on start to rust due to the loverly british climate lol anyway id best get back to upsetting the neighbours with the grinder wink cheers Andy

Ps i was in the bodyshop over 10 years ago lol so i myself am a bit rusty laugh

Message edited by ac - Friday, 17/Sep/10, 2.02 PM

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 2.23 PM | Message # 13
Webmaster
Em - been there done it all i can say really then is keep the faith bro it will all come good soon, one little word of warning however its very nearly winter time so you had best hurry up surprised

T4/T5 Club UK and its domains are currently up for sale due to severe illness of its owner, if you beleive you have what it takes to run it get in touch TODAY (note the community is NOT at risk and will continue in any situation)

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 2.29 PM | Message # 14
Major general
hahaha yea i know kinda bad huh lol i was just going to reinforce to anyone considering buying a bus to spend as much money as humanly possible dont go cheap like i did after all the old saying you pay for what you get for applys and certainly get one with history. mine came with tax and mot only and looking at it now i reckon the mot was done via the post lol becareful!!!!!!!!!

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 5.28 PM | Message # 15
Webmaster
Indeed could you do us a favour and take some images of where it has rotted so we can add them to our places T4's rot in our up and coming buyers guide thx send to t4club@live.co.uk cheers

Sadly buyng expensive doesnt always help either your right buy with history history history but that to can be forged its a sad reality that as we make these vans more popular so then the rougues, scam artists and such come out of the woodwork the best advice is buy from someone you know, is known to a friend or through a community such as ours usually ensuring a degree fo safety .....

Date: Friday, 17/Sep/10, 7.29 PM | Message # 16
Major general
ok yeah very true i will i have lots of pics but they are on my iphone and i have no idea of how to get them onto the laptop let alone the website lol any hints and i will however i do know that the sill under thr front doors tend to rot due to the lump of foam vw inserted into the sill ive seen a few starting to go there would appear a loverly water trap my advise tp people is to remove the plastic plugs along the inner seals and waxoil them yearly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again any help on up loading would be cool as im not good with computers lol

Cheers

Andy the mad welder wacko

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 0.08 AM | Message # 17
Generalissimo
Quote (Admin)
btw you dont want a Bay or a Splitty as you well know they drive like **** and they are rust buckets to

That was a party political broadcast from Admin

@ AC Ill sort some info out & forward it you for the quater panel.
as for you I Phone pics, Ive been told that you can re-size them on the phone & then go online log in & upload them that way.
To transfer to pc not sure is its an apple but you should have had software with the phone as it needs to be set up on a pc b4 it can be used.

Rob. [Secretary]

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 2.03 PM | Message # 18
Webmaster
Who is this Admin anyway? shall need to be having words with him some good honest points he makes maybe i can get some tips from him.... surprised

I will find out for you my son has one watch this space ...... [Iphone that is]

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 2.41 PM | Message # 19
Webmaster
Said pics as sent to us of the worst T4 ???

Attachments: 7284947.jpg (134.8 Kb) · 2194765.jpg (105.2 Kb) · 2809845.jpg (117.3 Kb)

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 5.22 PM | Message # 20
Major general
Isn't she a beauty I reckon it'll pass an mot with some duck tape!!!

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 5.46 PM | Message # 21
Webmaster
Isn't that what you took off of it??? surprised Iv'e seen worse passing buddy ...... Keep up the good works keeping another T4 on the road top marks to this man respect respect respect

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 6.19 PM | Message # 22
Lieutenant general
that is rough, mine has had no welding still in origenal paint, it a 95, but i have one im breaking that is rought, looks like some of the bay and splits ive worked on, good work m8 keep it up

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 6.38 PM | Message # 23
Webmaster
Quote (ray356)
looks like some of the bay and splits ive worked on
Although it has to be said way more common on Bays and Splits than T4's cool

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 6.42 PM | Message # 24
Generalissimo
Pics bring back horrifying memories of transits. Looking good now though with the new steel.

Chas! [Social Convener]

Date: Saturday, 18/Sep/10, 6.58 PM | Message # 25
Lieutenant general
Quote (Admin)
Although it has to be said way more common on Bays and Splits than T4's

but when T4 get to that age i dare say they will be the same eek
Quote (listensqueak)
Pics bring back horrifying memories of transits.

tell me about it had to replace inn eek er and outer sill on a 08

T4 - T5 Forum Pages » T4 - T5 Members Posts » Bodywork » The Worst T4 (i think iv the worst.........................)
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search: